Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing the therapy >

sewing the therapy

sewing the therapy

Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 PM

Isn't it the best! Just letting your hands guide the material under the foot listening to the hum of the machine. Oh how comforting.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 AM

I agree. Sewing and cross stitch are mine. Just having a needle and thread in my hands is immediate comfort. They are my best friends.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:56 AM

I've always thought of my quilting as my sanity saver and on many occassions, it has been just that. With that in mind, I always have a shoe box or two of pre-cut easy to sew quilts ready to stitch should the need arise. Then I can just grab the box and stitch the frustrations away. These easy sew quilts often end up as Community Quilts because although we are experiencing turnmoil in our own lives, there are often those out there with even bigger problems who might really appreciate a quilt. It has always worked for me. As for your poor teacher husband, as a recently retired teacher, I can empathsize. Teaching never got easier even with lots of experience. They just always seemed to expect more and often you were to make do with less. The lack of communication and last minute decisions about teaching assignments and locations was another huge stresser. Hope all this gets settled reasonably and soon.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:57 AM

I have been caring for my 92 year old mother and working full time, sewing keeps me sane!! I escape and only think about the pattern, material etc. I told someone, that I sew good karma into my quilts.
sending good thoughts to your father and both you and your husband.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:18 AM

If it weren't for sewing there would be brutalized barking chihuahuas, GKs, cats, and maybe the neighborhood. Thanks to sewing, I'm keeping my image as granny sweet and understanding.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:41 AM

Sewing is total therapy. Prayers to your father and DH.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by bbmom1989
This is such a wonderful place to pour your heart out that I know I can just talk. In the last 24 hours I have gone through my 88 yr old father going into the hospital - should be ok - but couldn't walk and couldn't keep any food down. After 4 bags of transfused blood and lots of fluid they are thinking a medication change will take care of this. Along with that my husband is being moved by his school district but with the budget cuts and all - after 24 years he does not know what he is teaching, where he is teaching or when he might know.

With all of this I was drawn to the sewing machine and cut out and sewed new potholders. Nothing big, nothing special but it felt so very comforting and I so enjoyed the time listening to the machine and feeling the material in my hands. I did not believe how comforting this was to me. I may sit in there all night!!!

Thank you for listening and I know there are others out there who use sewing for therapy!

Jana
Amen to that and my two loving puppies and two cats.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:09 AM

Isn't it wonderful to be able to forget your worries for a little while and pour all of your energy into doing something creative. I feel sure all will turn out just fine. Change is not necessarily a bad thing - so embrace it and look forward to a new phase in your life. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2011, 04:20 AM

I understand exactly! When my husband was in the hospital for 10 weeks, I took my sewing machine to the hotel room. Each nite after a long day at the hospital, I worked on a quilt top for my sister. It kept me busy mentally so I had less time to worry and fuss, and I also had something to show for my time besides just sitting there for hours on end. Now, when I am the most upset, I sew. It heals the mind more than anything I've found.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 AM

Glad you are a part of the "board family". Yes, sewing is such good therapy. I guess when I am at the sewing maching my mind has to focus on what I am doing, therefore, can not get too bogged down with worry. Helps me to relax and am doing something constructive at the same time. Prayers for you and your family.