Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning...don't organize your stash! >

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Old 06-11-2011, 12:57 PM

I must confess, for the past few months I have said I will not buy more fabric on speculation. Only what I need to complete a project. My confession? Each time I say this I spend more than I did the month before. So, this month I just gave up...went to the fabric outlet...and only bought $24.00 worth of fabric!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 PM

LOL!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I agree - up to a point. In the process of moving to an apartment (albeit reluctantly), I had to bite the bullet and actually found out how much fabric I had in plastic bins, plastic bags, etc., etc. There was fabric in my bedroom closet, fabric in the bedroom, fabric in my sewing room upstairs, and fabric in the basement sewing room (abandoned temporarily so that we would not have to heat it in winter and cool it in summer - plus we had an empty nest). I could have gone on that TV reality show about hoarders, however, I never thought of my fabric stash as an addition, as I used it, just not as fast as I could have. Plus when my sister passed away, I inherited her fabric stash. Despite purging, donating fabric to charity quilt groups, passsing on to friends (some of whom had passed part of their stash on to me), I am somewhat reluctant to tell you that I moved over 15 bins of fabric, patterns, batting, etc. However, in the past year I have reduced that amount by a third just by going through each plastic bin and simply refolding it neatly, and sorting by type - Christmas, fall, clothing for new granddaughter, you get the idea. What it all boils down to is that I am a fabricaholic and proud of it, and no one ever turns down one of my quilted creations, plus quilting and sewing keep me sane - how else do you think I've survived being with hubby 24/7 for the last 5 years since he became disabled and I was laid off? Never change.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:21 PM

So glad to see I'm not the only one with this guilt. I am sure I won't live long enough to use up all of my stash, kits, and scraps. I still like to look through it, though, so guess I don't have enough guilt to make me stop. :)
Old 06-11-2011, 01:24 PM

i haven't laughed this much in a long time! we're like a bunch of alcoholics who are meeting while having a drink in hand. face it, people. we are who we are and we must accept ourselves as those around us apparently have. a little self love here would help. i'm not signing any pledges to stop anything (buying, using, not using). ain't no way i'm going to quit!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by kaykuilts
Pineneedles4, you are not alone! I laughed when I read your message because two months ago I was organizing my stash (after reading about others doing so on this board) when I found a complete kit that I had purchased at least three or four years ago. I knew what pattern it was for although I don't remember buying it. This past September on a trip to Branson, Mo I bought the entire kit in another color. So I have two kits exactly the same except for color. I couldn't believe I did that! I will use both fabric sets, but I only want to make one quilt of that pattern so the extra will go into another quilt. I felt like such a dummy!
I did the same thing, so don't feel bad. Nancy
Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 PM

I think one of my saving graces is that I don't buy kits. I always seem to think that I'll find fabric I like better and then I never get around to picking out fabric for that pattern. I do have a lot of books with patterns in them tho- many I'll probably never use.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:32 PM

Yes I had the same situation happen to me when we sold our house. Moving and sorting my stash was the hardest part of the move.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Sometime this winter JoAnns is opening up at the mall
which is up and around the corner from where I live. I used to drive acrossed town and so I would save that for my Sunday afternoon entertainment. So my question to
you is how will I control myself when it opens here.
I like to get my fabric at Material Girl but it is so expensive
to use on big quilts so I use it for my smaller patterns like table toppers etc. After you get used to using the better
its so hard to sew with the cheaper and yes my stash will probably get bigger. Jo Anns does carry better fabric now
so I watch the flyers.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:34 PM

YEAH, SURE