Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this happen to anyone else?? >

Does this happen to anyone else??

Does this happen to anyone else??

Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 AM

also get door stoppers for under the sewing machine so back is higher ande you dont have to lean so much to see your work.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I found that by getting in better physical shape I have much less aches and pains. Not so much weight loss but building strength in your body. I went to a seminar on being fit while aging. It opened my eyes to the problems of being weak, feeling tired and getting more unhealthy while getting older. No matter your limitations, there are simple exercises to do that will make a great improvement in how you feel. One thing they had everyone do was to sit straight in the folding chair, arms straight down by our sides and raise up out of the chair using only our legs and stand straight up. It was amazing how many of the younger folks could not do it and some of the elderly could do it several times. People in wheelchairs or had back/knee/hip/feet problems had different exercises to do to show their level of fitness.
This is my experience exactly!! I do yoga, which not only is good for the body but wonderful for stress. I also walk, ride my bike and lift weights. It's amazing how much better I feel when I'm active.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:22 AM

I bless the day I spent a load of pennies and bought myself two lovely chairs for my quilting and my computer, they weren't cheap but what price a back ache :shock:

I bought a fabric one, to fit in with my decor, similar to this: http://www.officefurnitureonline.co....er-chairs.html for my quilting area and another one like this http://www.officefurnitureonline.co....ger-chair.html for my PC area. They adjust, swivel and are ergonomically designed to support your back, they were the best money I have ever spent, other than my fabrics, threads, sewing machines etc; etc; :XD:
Old 06-15-2011, 07:30 AM

Yes, I get back pain also and muscle spasms. When I get the spasms I cannot quilt for a few days and need to take muscle relaxants. When I am quilting it helps if I break every hour or so and do a few minutes (usually about 15) of gentle yoga stretching (you can find such stretches on You Tube). It does rather interrupt the quilting "flow" but worth it to avoid the pain. Hope you find your best solution.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:02 AM

That is really a good tip
Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 AM

I have deteriating disc disease in my lower back and a collasped disc in my neck plus I have sciatica so totally understand the back stuff.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM

I piece at a drafting table set to the highest level and then stand at the machine with the ironing board at a right angle. When I sew bindings, etc. I sit at a sewing table and I can really tell the difference: much more back/shoulder strain when sitting-
Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by deanna.r
Originally Posted by buddy'smom
When I quilt and do it for any length of time my back is killing me, I get up and walk, take brakes, I do alot of PP so I'm always back & forth to the ironing board. And lots of times it's my side as well??
One thing that might help is to get one of those exercise balls and use it instead of a chair. I learned this from my brother-in-law who works all day in an office at a computer. It encourages you to have small movements in your back and strengthens your core muscles (the ones that support your spine).

I'm not sure what happened here, but for some reason my reply is in the middle of someone else's reply or replies. Sorry about the screw-up.
I think this is a great suggestion. I was just fixin' to post a reply with a suggestion to try to get into the habit of doing core strengthening exercises. I am currently going to Physical Therapy three times a week for a back injury. The main focus in my sessions has been working on core strenght. Core strenght is so important in protecting our back and keeping us going, especially as we age. I may never be frolicking on the beach in a bikini but I'm sure starting to get a nice belly down in there somewhere!!:) :)

Get one size larger than would be recommended for excercise to put you at the correct height for sewing, computer, etc.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM

I used to hurt a lot more when sitting and piecing or quilting! I had hubby purchase a new chair for me. It has so many adjustments I love it. I have 2 sewing machine tables and I can adjust the height for piecing and quilting. I try to remember to relax the shoulders then I sew for hours. I have severe arthritis and yes getting up is painful. I do try to move more since I hurt when I get up. I say get a new chair. I know it has helped me so much!
Luann
Old 06-15-2011, 11:22 AM

I keep my ironing surface 23 steps from my machine, so when I need to press anything its, get up, walk, press, walk then keep sewing. Just that bit of movement every few minutes does wonders.