help please!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 AM

When my son was a baby and had some white t-shirts that got stained, we used a solution of chlorine bleach and automatic dish washing powder diluted with a lot of water. This is really strong, though, and might take the color out of the prints. Try it on a small area first...

What were those guys thinking! I hope this works...
Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 AM

I HAVE READ ABOUT USING WHITE VINEGAR, HAVE NOT HAD TO EVER DO IT...
Old 06-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Hello from San Gabriel, California
Old 06-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Welcome to the board!! I'm so sorry for your loss. That is such a beautiful quilt! Hopefully one of the members recommendations will work. The bleach one is one that I would try - but I would just put it on the stain, avoiding the lovely colors as much as possible.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 PM

Hi Angie and welcome from NE Ohio. Sorry to hear about your quilt. Hope your able to repair the damage, and get compensated for the damage they've done. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:21 PM

A friend of mine had made a double wedding ring quilt for her son and his wife. They had a moving company move them from FLA to IA. The movers used that quilt to pad the refridgeor (sp?). The moving company took two weeks to get the truck delivered. When it arrived and got it unpacked..They had mildew on that double wedding ring quilt. The moving company said it that not what quilts are for packing?? The nerve of them. My friend told the quilt and used q-tips with dulled bleach on them and worked on every spot. Took her hours and hours. She remade the same quilt for their 3 wedding anniv. The moving company did pay for the fabric as a settlement. Just not fair. Sorry to hear about your quilt.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:37 PM

I am so sorry about your quilt. I had some mildewed clothes and used hot water and bleach. It took it out but I don't know if you could do that to a quilt. I am married to a man who spent 20 years in the Army. I got so tired of moving. We have been in the same house for 20 years now and I don't miss the traveling at all.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:47 PM

Angie, I just want to extend a warm welcome to you from Long Island, NY. You will find many new friends here. My hope is that one of the solutions offered here will work on your cherished quilt. Please let us know what happens.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:01 PM

A company called Biokleen makes an oxygen cleaner I absolutely love. You might try that. If all else fails remember that the quilt has already seen tons of history, and this accident has added your family's move to its story.

Not ideal, but this is what life is, right? Home arts like quilting should tell our stories, the good and the bad. Without our histories all quilts may as well be mass made. :)
Old 06-18-2011, 06:04 PM

I so like oxi clean for most everything. I spray, let it even dry and may do this two or three times before I actually wash it in washer. It is so good for cleaning so many things. If you do not have it ask family to send you a box of it :)