Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who remembers S&H green stamps >

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Old 06-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Oh yes, those green stamps. The quality of their merchandise
was top notch. I have had many items gotten threw saving
the green stamps. I wish they could come back or something
like them.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by marmalade
Originally Posted by Kitsie
OMG! So far (pg 3) there are 3 posts (including mine) about getting them stuck on your ..... you know where, at the doctor's office, my story included. Are we all remembering an old joke as something that happened to us or a friend??
I'm Canadian and I don't believe they were used up there! That is very strange! Will have to look at all the posts... :?:
Kitsie - I just asked dh, who grew up just outside of Niagara Falls, ON & he says he remembers collecting stamps, but he's not sure what kind. He thinks they could have been S&H, but he is really not sure.....

OK - to go along with this S & H stamp post - anyone remember the name of the grocery store you got them at???
and is the store still in business????

I remember "Acme" grocery store (in North Tonawanda,NY) for the green stamps. I think we got Plaid Stamps @ The Great Atlantic & Pacific Co (which then morphed into the A & P). Neither store is in operation today.

I THINK it was National Tea Co in the Chicago area.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Oh yes I remember them. It also recalls a prank we pulled as teenagers. There was no tv then and we lived in an isolated smallish town. We use to have bank parties on the weekend and schavengers hunts. One night someone came up with the bright idea of collecting some s & h green stamp signs and we placed them in front of the funeral home. Obviously bad taste but we thought it was hilarous then. Not quite as funny when you have lived your alloted time.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM

Yep - remember the green stamps. Also remember the clothes detergent with glasses or towels inside.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by thomp116
Yep, I remember! Does anyone remember getting baby items in the detergent boxes...shirts, diapers, etc?
I think RINSO and OXYDOL and some of the others used to put dish towels and hand towels in their soap flakes and detergent boxes.
Remember Duz soap? They used to put dishes in the boxes. My sister still has an entire set for 8. They were a wheat design and had gold edging. After all these years they still look great and none of the gold is peeling off.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Janquiltz
Yep - remember the green stamps. Also remember the clothes detergent with glasses or towels inside.
I still have my Mother's glasses that she got in detergent.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by spinnergs
Ok, green stamps. This is a true story. My youngest daughter came along during the green stamp rage. My sisters and I would shop everywhere there were green stamps, busily filling all our books until we had enought to cash them in for great deals. My daughter's baby furniture came from that store along with most everything else. Well, the big day came and we piled everyone in the car for the trip to the store. While I was dedicatedly looking thru the catalog to see what I need next, I hear a saleslady behind the counter say really loud "Oh MY!" while looking behind me. There was my daughter, climbed up on the display potty chair doing her business. Since she was potty training at home, this seemed the thing to do and she was look mightly pleased with herself. Needless to say, it was a readers digest moment for me!
OMG!! ROFLOL!!! That sounds almost like what my daughter did when she was 2. Only we were at Sears.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:58 PM

I'm showing my age here but I sure do remember them. I remember licking them and putting in the books for my Mom. That glue tasted awful!! My Mom saved and saved and got her first microwave that way.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM

Yes, my mother saved green stamps and Blue Chip stamps! I remember her getting wonderful household items with them. We even got stamps at the gas station when buying gas! Wouldn't that be nice in this day and age?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 PM

I remember pasting them into books for my friends mom. 5 cents a book she paid us!!! And we got penny candy with our hard earned money at the corner store... Remember Chunky candy bar squares?