Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
visiting Abilene TX-any quilt shops a must see? >

visiting Abilene TX-any quilt shops a must see?

visiting Abilene TX-any quilt shops a must see?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

I have not found a quilt shop on Abilene...I have heard about the new one in Clyde though...if you google them be sure to actually PHONE them first...many in the area have closed up recently yet still show up in google...
I am from Colorado-city and my sister lives in Ranger, so we hit Abilene up regularly. Have not seen a Hobby Lobby there, but Hancock's and Micheals are always on our list of TO DO things when we go there!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx
Quilt Across Texas is in September. Is that the one you got the newsletter about?

My region has 14 shops in the hop - hard to get that many in on weekends - especially with my daughter and husband's brithdays getting in the way!
Yes but I'm in Boston and I didn't pay attention to the date.
I think it would be awesome because Texas is so big - you could make a whole vacation out of it!!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SueSew
Originally Posted by JanTx
Quilt Across Texas is in September. Is that the one you got the newsletter about?

My region has 14 shops in the hop - hard to get that many in on weekends - especially with my daughter and husband's brithdays getting in the way!
Yes but I'm in Boston and I didn't pay attention to the date.
I think it would be awesome because Texas is so big - you could make a whole vacation out of it!!
yes, but you would spend more on gas and lodging than you would on fabric....
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I have not found a quilt shop on Abilene...I have heard about the new one in Clyde though...if you google them be sure to actually PHONE them first...many in the area have closed up recently yet still show up in google...
I am from Colorado-city and my sister lives in Ranger, so we hit Abilene up regularly. Have not seen a Hobby Lobby there, but Hancock's and Micheals are always on our list of TO DO things when we go there!
There is a Hobby Lobby on South 14th, just west of Hancocks on the other side of the freeway. The quilt shop in Clyde has a lot of charm she carries a good asst. of Civil War and nice batiks fabric.The last Sat. of the month she has demos. only open 10-3 on Sat.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 AM

Quilt Across Texas is divided into Regions. I'm on the Gulf Coast and there are 14 shops in the hop for the region. I've already mapped them out and hope they can be done in 3 weekends, but one of those would be quite a bit of driving so ... not sure.

If you don't live down here - or haven't visited - it's just hard to imagine how far away things are. My dad always said, "You can drive for miles and miles and see nothing but miles and miles of Texas." and "the sun has riz, the sun has set, and here we are in Texas yet!" - that one came from a post card we saw on a trip one time. It's about 700 miles from here to El Paso and we're not even at the Louisiana border - that's about 100 miles to our East.

My daughter and son-in-law lived in Northern Virginia when he was in the Marine Corps. It amazed me that you could be in Virginia, DC, Maryland, and into Pennsyvania in half the time it would take us to drive from here to San Antonio!

So ... all of the Texas Shop Hop would be quite a challenge! But sure would be fun to figure out.