Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH! >

My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH!

My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 PM

Just call it a batik and forge on.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

i think if you go ahead and use it it will not look so bad cut up and used=it will look as if that's how it's supposed to look-
but,
you could simply pick up some fabric dye-and over-dye it....that would even it out.

but i think it will simply look like it's supposed to-
i would re-wash it though just in case it wants to do anything else--
maybe toss in a color catcher and see how it comes out.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by karenm36
Originally Posted by bluteddi
I would run it back thru the washer.....

What pattern did u decide on? maybe the fading will not be a detractant
Well, I hadn't decided on the pattern quite yet...so many to think about! But, the Thinking Outside the Box pattern (which is really a kind of Log Cabin) uses smaller strips of fabric instead of larger pieces...which may conceal the fabric color inconsistency better than using larger pieces. Thinking now I may need to choose a pattern where I use smaller pieces...what do you think?
Good idea! You just made lemonade!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:30 PM

Sorry to see. I know people get attached to their fabric. Kind of like their children, ya know?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Try smaller washer loads and use a detergent like Woolite and use cold water
Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
I would still use the fabric.....just tell yourself that the fabric had the mottled look to it when you purchased it. After all, there are fabrics sold that have a mottled look to it.
I agree, it probably is not going to show up when you start cutting it. But how frustrating!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:36 PM

It almost looks like it was made to do that. Kind of has a shaded look.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

Wow. As usual, there is so much knowledge about you question and different ways to solve it. I am listening to all of you and learning soooooo much. I think you should go with it as everyone (mostly) is recommending......how can so many be wrong???? Best of luck. Can't wait to watch your progress
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by kwhite
I think I would at least try the refund thing. You never know they might ask no questions. I think it is the fabric.
I have been a mgr at hancock's, joanns, and a couple of indep. shops and I can tell you that NO store I ever worked at would do a refund on washed fabric...most don't refund on cut yardages at all!

Yes! one store will....
I saw this with my own eyes! A lady brought in a quilt to Walmart fabric dept and said she wanted a refund on the fabric as the blue backing fabric faded all over the quilt. She bought all the fabric at Walmart even the batting. She said the quilt was ruined because of the blue dye all over it. The fabric manager could see the fabric was all Walmart as it was still on the shelf on bolts. The receipt showed how much yardage of each fabric was bought and the batting. The lady got exact yardage cut of all the fabrics except the backing, got different color backing this time, and a new package of batting. The manager okayed the exchange and she left with all new fabric to make the quilt again and the fabric manager was left with the quilt. The store manager said well my dog needs a quilt and he took it. LOL The fabric manager put a note on the blue fabric bolt that said will bleed when washed and marked it down to $1 yard and put it next to the remnant bin. When I was checking out I saw a lady with the whole bolt in her cart. I love Walmart. It's like seeing a fiction book come to life at every trip.

Oh the quilt was a yellow brick road pattern about twin bed size.
Gotta love wal marts return policy. Thats why I picked up my husband in one.....in case I need to return or exchange him!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by kwhite
I think I would at least try the refund thing. You never know they might ask no questions. I think it is the fabric.
I have been a mgr at hancock's, joanns, and a couple of indep. shops and I can tell you that NO store I ever worked at would do a refund on washed fabric...most don't refund on cut yardages at all!

Yes! one store will....
I saw this with my own eyes! A lady brought in a quilt to Walmart fabric dept and said she wanted a refund on the fabric as the blue backing fabric faded all over the quilt. She bought all the fabric at Walmart even the batting. She said the quilt was ruined because of the blue dye all over it. The fabric manager could see the fabric was all Walmart as it was still on the shelf on bolts. The receipt showed how much yardage of each fabric was bought and the batting. The lady got exact yardage cut of all the fabrics except the backing, got different color backing this time, and a new package of batting. The manager okayed the exchange and she left with all new fabric to make the quilt again and the fabric manager was left with the quilt. The store manager said well my dog needs a quilt and he took it. LOL The fabric manager put a note on the blue fabric bolt that said will bleed when washed and marked it down to $1 yard and put it next to the remnant bin. When I was checking out I saw a lady with the whole bolt in her cart. I love Walmart. It's like seeing a fiction book come to life at every trip.

Oh the quilt was a yellow brick road pattern about twin bed size.
Gotta love wal marts return policy. Thats why I picked up my husband in one.....in case I need to return or exchange him!
LOL!!!!!! :D