Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts >

This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 AM

Hope someone buys, uses, and loves those quilts!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chickerson
This makes me so sad to see a closet full of love being sold at an Estate Sale. I'm guessing the family doesn't understand the love and time it took to make these memories. I'm going to try to get to the sale on Friday.
The person that made the quilts loved them. We can't enforce our love of quilting on to others, no matter how hard we try. Perhaps they will be purchased by someone who will love them again.

There are a lot of other arts and crafts that I have absolutely no interest in. If I ever inherited something that didn't appeal to me, it would probably end up in an estate sale.

Hope you are able to buy something at the sale that you like.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Sorry. My message was just standing still on the screen, so I clicked it a second time.

This makes me so sad to see a closet full of love being sold at an Estate Sale. I'm guessing the family doesn't understand the love and time it took to make these memories. I'm going to try to get to the sale on Friday.
The person that made the quilts loved them. We can't enforce our love of quilting on to others, no matter how hard we try. Perhaps they will be purchased by someone who will love them again.

There are a lot of other arts and crafts that I have absolutely no interest in. If I ever inherited something that didn't appeal to me, it would probably end up in an estate sale.

Hope you are able to buy something at the sale that you like.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

i'm fairly sure when i pass there will be a stack or two for my kids to (dispose of)
they love their quilts- they even request a new one once in a while---but they have also let me know---a person only needs so many quilts....and they have enough--
unless a quilt at my house really just (grabbed them) they would go ahead and pass them on- i'm ok with that- i have made them all special quilts- they have no reason to feel they have to keep the others- that do not match their styles-wants or wishes-
i would rather they sell them at an estate sale or donate them somewhere than just toss them out- or send them to the goodwill.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 AM

The lady that is teaching me to quilt has three huge closets full of beautiful quilts she has made, one spare bed with about 20 quilts stacked on it, and another bed with quilts in bags stacked on it, besides a few bags stuffed full of quilts laying on the floor next to the closet. She is 76 and is still quilting. She has made numerous quilts for all of her family and grandchildren and great grandchildren. She made a quilt for each of my grandchildren. She has a couple made from the scraps I gave her that I would love to have, they turned out so beautifully.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Maybe the family had all they needed. Hope these go to a family that will cherish them.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 AM

I think I'll haunt my kids if they don't pass them out between themselves.lol
Old 06-23-2011, 07:16 AM

IMHO... better to share them with people that want them (by bidding on them) rather than them sitting sadly in a closed closet hidden away....now that is sad to me.

Share the love
Old 06-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Good luck, hope it's priced to sale! Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 AM

I feel the same way. My husband and like to rescue them also. I think it is so sad and disrespectful, then on the other hand if they don't appreciate them at least maybe they will find a home to love them!!!!!!!!