Spray Basting Questions >

Spray Basting Questions

Spray Basting Questions

Old 06-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

i've used Sulky too. 505 is great too though. so either one
Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by elseebee
The reason for the ventilation when spraying is because ALL sprays contain VERY toxic chemicals(whether you like the smell or not)! But it's the only way I baste and I love it! I use an old vinyl tablecloth under the edge of my quilt and that takes care of the overspray problem.
Toxic and flammable!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Just a note, I went to a sulky seminar, if you use the sulky brand, the rep told me it has to be locked in a plastic bag or the next day it will not be still attached, just a note for that one spray because a few people mentioned it and it is very temporary, probably better for applique you are going to do right then and there
Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 AM

I used the June Tailer brand the other day and it was terrible. It gunked my needle. I had to stop and clean the needle with alcohol. I had to do this numberous times. I had to finish the quilt! I'm buying the 505. I pin and spray baste.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 AM

I bought 3 m super 77 multipurpose adhesive $4.50 a can at walmart. It doesnt smell & it is not sticky you don't need a lot. I fold my quilt in half & spray a little & unfold a little at a time or I use my flannel wall . I do not use it outside .
Old 06-26-2011, 08:02 AM

on line she shows that she covered the whole wall w/newpaper to catch the overspray; if she doesn't have someone to hold the quilt/batting up for her on the large ones she sticks pins at the top to hold it until it's all done. she showed to put your batting in the dryer to get out all of the wrinkles before using it. You could also tape it to your floor or large working space. I have used the blue can of basting from walmarts w/great success the other night I had to use 505 because I couldn't find mine and was at a lqs. I thought it didn't do so well but my teacher said I probably didn't put enough on so I will try it again. I have had a baby quilt on my wall for over 5mos w/the stuff from walmarts and it's still holding. My teacher did say that the stuff in the pink can gunked up her needles where the 505 didn't. I kept saying she because I couldn't remember the quilter's name that had the video
Old 06-26-2011, 08:02 AM

on line she shows that she covered the whole wall w/newpaper to catch the overspray; if she doesn't have someone to hold the quilt/batting up for her on the large ones she sticks pins at the top to hold it until it's all done. she showed to put your batting in the dryer to get out all of the wrinkles before using it. You could also tape it to your floor or large working space. I have used the blue can of basting from walmarts w/great success the other night I had to use 505 because I couldn't find mine and was at a lqs. I thought it didn't do so well but my teacher said I probably didn't put enough on so I will try it again. I have had a baby quilt on my wall for over 5mos w/the stuff from walmarts and it's still holding. My teacher did say that the stuff in the pink can gunked up her needles where the 505 didn't. I kept saying she because I couldn't remember the quilter's name that had the video
Old 06-26-2011, 08:25 AM

I use Sullivans Quilting Spray - it is cheaper and holds well. I use a large sheet (4 x 8') of styrofoam insulation - cover it with newspaper - cover the floor below with newspaper when doing it inside - Just set up next to a tree or other large device when doing it outside. Has worked well for me. I agree with those that said it is a way to smooth out all the wrinkles. I have had really good success with this method for several years now.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Thanks, that's a good idea. I will try the 505 after I use up the can I have now. Like the stitch around it, espec.
Originally Posted by carslo
I use 505 it is the best no odor also. I have done up to a king size on my domestic machine using FMQ. I am not a gentle quilter and it stands up to my mistreatment. It washes out fine afterwards.
I also stitch around the edge first and have had no trouble with creasing etc.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

I spray baste outside (read the warning label on the can!). Try to choose a time/day when it's not too breezy, I put my backing on a bed sheet bigger than my quilt backing, taped to the patio if necessary, batting over that, quilt top on top, spraying in between layers as desired. I use blue painter's tape to hold everything down if necessary if there's a breeze. Then I transfer the sprayed quilt to my table inside the house and smooth and reposition as needed. I throw the sheet in the washer and all done.