Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
learning to HAND applique! >

learning to HAND applique!

learning to HAND applique!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 AM

I really like silk thread, but only YLI brand. It just melts (disappears) into the fabric. I can understand why the straw needles, but I use sharps, usually size 9, because straw needles bend too easily for me. Whichever you use, get a good thimble or you'll wind up with a permanent hole in your finger. Good luck and happy appliqueing.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 AM

I would like to be shown how to tie the knot at the needle. That is something I haven't learn as yet and I like silk thread. Is there a tutorial on that.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
what did you all do for your first applique project?

I would love to do this quilt..and I KNOW..it is not meant to be a first project, but maybe just one block????

http://www.p3designs.com/gallery/
I'll bet you could start with this. No kidding - if you're the kind that typically jumps into things with both feet, then go for it. :)

I'm thinking about the Baltimore Christmas, myself. :)

This is the needleturn top I'm working on now - very easy, but lots of practice with inner and outer points and convex and concave curves. I'm almost done with the blocks - only four more to do, I think. It's simple and doesn't require a lot of attention, so I have something to do while watching television.

The pattern is underneath it, if you or anyone else wants it -it's made in EQ7 from stock elements, so there are no copyright issues.

30's fabrics on white-on-white
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217509[/ATTACH]

Here's the pattern:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217510[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-217503.jpe
Views:	20
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	217509  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-217504.pdf (4.36 MB, 205 views)
Old 06-27-2011, 10:28 AM

I have just started and silk thread is great because it slips through the fabric so easy and doesn't get into knots!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:17 AM

I have used silk thread and love it. Many needle turn appliquers have recommended using silk thread. It glides through the fabric VERY smoothly. You have to knot it onto your needle or it will come unthreaded every time you take a stitch.

Many other needle turn appliquers have said to use a good sewing machine thread: Mettler, Guterman, Aurifil, Masterpiece. These people say that the silk thread isn't as strong, and also that since you're using cotton fabric you should use cotton thread so that it all launders the same. So, I have also used Masterpiece Thread on pre-wound bobbins from Superior Threads: a "Frosted Donut" which is a round plastic bobbin holder filled with 36 colors of thread on pre-wound bobbins. This was recommended to me by several needle turn appliquers because it's so easily portable to carry with you when you're appliqueing on the go. Compared to silk thread, this thread also works well and it IS much more easily portable, but, it definitely is NOT as smooth going through the fabric. If your LQS does not carry "Frosted Donuts" you can see them and buy them online at www.superiorthreads.com.

As I've said above, the needle turn applique "experts" seem to be very divided (and also VERY opinionated) about which thread is the best to use. I'm not convinced that it matters that much.

So...I use both silk thread and thread from my "Frosted Donut". I actually prefer the silk thread because of how smoothly it glides through the fabric, so I use the silk thread at home and I use the "Frosted Donut" away from home because it is so easily portable. The fact that I use both (possibly even mixing the two on the same project!) probably horrifies the needle turn applique "experts", but that's what I've found works best for me.

As for the straw needles, the experts are again very divided and very opinionated about what needles to use. Some say to ONLY use straw needles, some say to use applique needles. Straw needles are very long and very easily bendable, much more so than applique needles. I would say try both and see which ones you like better and work for you better. The only things that matter are that it works for you, you enjoy it, and that your applique looks the way you want it to.

Hope this helps!!

Becky
Old 07-02-2011, 01:49 PM

My first two applique projects ran simultaneously - one was a Baltimore Album and the other was Rose Sampler Supreme. Both are still ongoing but that's because other things kept calling.
what did you all do for your first applique project?

I would love to do this quilt..and I KNOW..it is not meant to be a first project, but maybe just one block????

http://www.p3designs.com/gallery/
Old 07-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Make a loop (about 2" long) at the end of your piece of thread and thread the loop through the eye of the needle. Do not thread it past the cut end of the thread. Hold onto the eye of the needle so the thread stays put. Then put the needle thru the loop and pull tight. It's actually very easy.
Originally Posted by quilter64779
I would like to be shown how to tie the knot at the needle. That is something I haven't learn as yet and I like silk thread. Is there a tutorial on that.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:04 PM

I guess my response would be this...if she does great work she probably doesn't see the need to change (and I wouldn't either!). If she doesn't do great work, learn what you can from her and then continue to learn from others. Once you have the basics it's easier to broaden your horizons. I have taken classes from Elly Sienkiewicz, Jeanna Kimball, and Mimi Dietrick. I have also watched videos from the Piece 'O Cake ladies and Pearl Pereira. But the best teacher of all was practice and more practice.
Originally Posted by dixiechunk
At the risk of sounding like the quilt police, my advice would be to follow your teacher's advice and instructions.
What's the point in getting someone to show you how to do something and then not listening to what they have to say? You might as well teach yourself. You don't need to got out and buy 25 spools of silk thread to start with, just a couple; and it's not like straw needles cost an arm and a leg. Try her way and then make your own modifications later on.
the only reason I asked was because this is ALL she has ever used..she was not even sure there is other stuff out there..(she is 78) and we have NO quilt shop here, so I was going to look for other stuff at the quilt show on Friday. I have lots of different threads and now have the YLI silk and straw needles like she suggested using...but I also have other threads she is trying out right now...so far she loves the Masterpiece had me order her one of the "bobbin collections"!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:10 PM

Okay, I posted earlier about how to do this. Have found a you tube video but I don't know how to do the blue link thing. Google youtube how to make a silk thread knot. Lady named Angie shows what I could only describe.
Originally Posted by quilter64779
Old 07-06-2011, 04:14 PM

I don't care for silk thread personal pref