Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Miniatures >

Miniatures

Miniatures

Old 06-27-2011, 06:57 AM

Very nice photos mini-quilters!

Has any seen 130 Mini Quilt Blocks by Susan Briscoe?

I was wondering if it was a good reference book.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thrums
Very nice photos mini-quilters!

Has any seen 130 Mini Quilt Blocks by Susan Briscoe?

I was wondering if it was a good reference book.

Thanks.
this book is just blocks done smaller...you really don't need a book, just a pad of graph paper to make blocks smaller!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 AM

I like minis, and love to use up small scraps that way ... but have found that my older fingers and eyes do more paper piecing these days with the miniatures. No pictures as I have given all the little quilts away. Mostly I just use regular quilt blocks and reduce the size of the patches proportionately.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
I like minis, and love to use up small scraps that way ... but have found that my older fingers and eyes do more paper piecing these days with the miniatures. No pictures as I have given all the little quilts away. Mostly I just use regular quilt blocks and reduce the size of the patches proportionately.
I know what you mean..gotta love foundation/paper piecing..I do most of my minis on foundation...that way with the tiny seams there is not chance of ripping them when I remove the paper!

I love EQ for doing mini layouts...and for printing off the blocks to foundation piece...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 AM

I love making mini's. However most are Civil War Repo.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
Quite frankly, with the amount of money we have to pay for material I think it is a waste of time and money to make a miniature quilt unless it was for a useful purpose such as a place mat. I prefer to make larger items such as a full quilt.However, if it was an art quilt to be used as a wall hanging or framed, then it takes on a different dimension.
For the most part, miniatures have been done with scraps in the first place that less frugal quilters normally throw away. How 'useful' an item is depends on the quilter and the person who receives it. Let's play nice & be less negative & judgemental.

You know what I learned most from my artist grandmother? Rules were made to be broken. Live it up & do what you love. I' sorry no one has given you that freedom, jitkaau.

It's YOUR fabric, YOUR project, & YOUR SELF EXPRESSION. Don't be bothered with the quilt police. No one enjoys a stickler for unimportant rules.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM

I guess it all depends on your definition of "useful". To me, anything I make, regardless of size, is "useful" because I enjoy the process and the fruit of my labor. When I make minis, they're useful in that they are either hung up in my home as decoration, or they are passed on to others to enjoy. Case in point, I made a quilt that was 5" square, and gave it to an elderly woman who had a miniature hobby. She had a mini castle-dollhouse, with mini furniture, and the mini quilt went on a mini bed and gave her mini hours of enjoyment. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) :)

I suppose the only non-useful quilt might be the one that sat in a closet for 40 years, but it still was useful in that (hopefully) it gave somebody joy to make it.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by carrieg
My quilt guild brought in George Siciliano & I took his workshop. My first attempt at foundation piecing and a mini. It was a challenge, but I will finish my mini! Each 3" block has 40 pieces in it. It will finish at about 15" square, made of 16 blocks total.
Yeah, if you're going to talk miniatures, George is at the top of the list.
INSANE!!!
http://www.georgesiciliano.com/

And all the quilts shown are gorgeous. I wish I had the patience.
All I can say about his quilts is......WOW !!!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Don't talk to George about placemats, either.... He made a log cabin/pineapple variation that was 15 x 21 inches, with 2842 pieces. Some lady offered him $10 for it and wanted him to make another 5 for placemats!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:12 PM

I took classes with Sally Collins on Precision Piecing. I learned so much and actually did a project using her techniques. Her book and DVD are essential. In think she has some instruction on you tube