Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you rate yourself as a quilter? >

How do you rate yourself as a quilter?

How do you rate yourself as a quilter?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 AM

I've only been quilting a couple of years and almost everything that I've learned has come from on-line, especially from this board. So, I rate myself a beginner who is trying to improve.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
According to what you have rated yourself, then I suck. :-)
I guess I do too if you rate yourself a newbie after six years. I have been quilting for a year and a half and i THOUGHT i was getting pretty good.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 AM

Happy!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:13 AM

We are ALL our own worst critics!

Come on ladies (and gents?) - step back 5 feet and look at your work - don't get out the magnifying glass and look for "character spots" - that's what my great aunt called imperfections. If we didn't show people our imperfections they would NEVER find them.

Have FUN with it and learn something - it keeps the brain young!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 AM

It's surprising how quilters rate themselves. I sewed for years before I started quilting, so I was an very good seamstress. Then when I was quilted, I never took classes because I thought they were for "experts". When I finally did start to show and compare my work, I realized I was pretty good. But I still look at some of the work on this board and feel so inferior. I think a lot of quilters feel like I do. But I also know quilters who have made ONE wall hanging and feel like they are ready to start teaching classes.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I've been making quilts for over 20 years and have learned a lot and continue to do so. Some of mine come out a lot better than others. I quilt for pleasure and to make things for my loved ones. I'm the only quilter in the whole family so they think I'm an expert but I know I'm not! LOL
I love it so much and don't care if I ever get past a rating :D:D
Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 AM

I consider myself an advanced beginner. Some things I am pretty good at, but there is always something more that I want to learn. I have never tried paper piecing or Hawaiian quilting, but I am OK at applique and patchwork, and I am still on the learning curve for FMQ. Each completed project has taught me something, I hope. Soon it is time to retire so I can spend more time quilting.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 AM

Honestly, if I rated myself I would probably give up quilting altogether - sharet
Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
It's surprising how quilters rate themselves. I sewed for years before I started quilting, so I was an very good seamstress. Then when I was quilted, I never took classes because I thought they were for "experts". When I finally did start to show and compare my work, I realized I was pretty good. But I still look at some of the work on this board and feel so inferior. I think a lot of quilters feel like I do. But I also know quilters who have made ONE wall hanging and feel like they are ready to start teaching classes.
With an avatar like yours, I would definitely rate you very HIGH!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Absolutely gorgeous!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 AM

novice altho i have been quilting for years never expect to please everyone but the recipents of my quilts know they are filled with love