Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric >

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Smoke Smell in Garage Sale Fabric

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 AM

How about going to a laudry mat- use the big machines- put all the like colors together. or use the smaller machines and do smaller loads.
USE VINAGER and soap. let me think - soap first then vinager in the rinse cycle? Maybe someone can help here- can't seem to remember how to do it.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Banned

I always use White {cheap} Vinegar in my rinse cycle with all of my washings and there is no smell what so ever when they are done washing.
Also, you know how big heavy towels never seem to dry completely? Especially if you use a softner in your rinse cycle. Well, every once in a while, wash all your towels, like you normally do, but instead of using softner in the rinse, put in White Vinegar. That helps to get all of the built up softner out of your towels. And they will dry much better and faster too.
I heard about the vinegar on this board, and I have been using it for my rinse ever since. And am very happy with how well everything drys faster now. Plus it saves me a ton of money on softners too.
Oh, occasinally I will use a little softner, from the dollar store, to use in my rinse cycle, but not everyone like I use to use.
Good Luck.
If you would like to get some of that smokie smelling fabrics off your hands, I will be more than happy to take some.
And if you would like, I am offering to help you wash some of that up and send it back to you, if you would like some help with it. We could use the Flat Rate boxes.
in fact, if you would like to send me a couple or more of boxes full of fabrics, I will wash,dry and even press it all and then ship it back to you. I will pay the postage to ship it back to you if you want to pay the postage to get it to me.
Just let me know.
Bev B
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned

BTW-Here in Michigan, we have had more than our share of rain this year so far.
Besides, I am only a half mile from Lake Huron.......lol
BB
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by tarbender30
I always use White {cheap} Vinegar in my rinse cycle with all of my washings and there is no smell what so ever when they are done washing.
Also, you know how big heavy towels never seem to dry completely? Especially if you use a softner in your rinse cycle. Well, every once in a while, wash all your towels, like you normally do, but instead of using softner in the rinse, put in White Vinegar. That helps to get all of the built up softner out of your towels. And they will dry much better and faster too.
I heard about the vinegar on this board, and I have been using it for my rinse ever since. And am very happy with how well everything drys faster now. Plus it saves me a ton of money on softners too.

Oh, occasinally I will use a little softner, from the dollar store, to use in my rinse cycle, but not everyone like I use to use.
Good Luck.
If you would like to get some of that smokie smelling fabrics off your hands, I will be more than happy to take some.
And if you would like, I am offering to help you wash some of that up and send it back to you, if you would like some help with it. We could use the Flat Rate boxes.
in fact, if you would like to send me a couple or more of boxes full of fabrics, I will wash,dry and even press it all and then ship it back to you. I will pay the postage to ship it back to you if you want to pay the postage to get it to me.
Just let me know.
Bev B
Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Sadly I am over in the Uk...but I think you have found the answer...I certainly would be prepared to wash abit and iron it if I lived near...everyone needs abit of a helping hand sometimes.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 AM

I used to work for an appliance repair company. When they had a "stinky" refrigerator they put charcoal (the kind you use for grilling - without the lighter fluid in it) in the refrigerator and freezer. You might be able to put charcoal in plastic containers with holes in them inside your totes. Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 AM

I would use the large washers and dryers at the laundromat. I just would use tide and a cup of vinegar. As I grew up a smoker, I can tell you it works. No, I don't smoke anymore.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM

when you get rain don't use the water from the tanks. lay the fabric out on the grass or outdoor furniture and let it rain on it. then let it dry outdoors. that might freshen it up. be patient. you may have to do it more than once, but it sounds like it will be worth it.

or, can you take it to a nearby river or beach? water is water. this would only be a stop-gap measure. later on, you can wash it properly one piece at a time when you can afford to spend your own water.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 AM

My husband is a hunter and stores his hunting clothes in a plastic bag with charcoal like you would use in a grill. He said it absorbs odors, Worth a try
Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 PM

I have heard that active charcoal left in a dish in a room will collect the smell of smoke. Maybe you could try that some way not sure how.