Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-wash Fabric to Eliminate Bugs!!! >

Pre-wash Fabric to Eliminate Bugs!!!

Pre-wash Fabric to Eliminate Bugs!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 AM

Around here I have heard the flying brown bugs called wood roaches. At least they aren't disease laden like cockroaches. They don't try to attack food or hide in cracks, but they do like wood even painted. Usually they are only active for about a month so if yours are like mine they will be gone soon.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Seal your fabric up in a plastic bag and leave it for several days, preferably in a hot place(trunk of car?) that should kill any hitchikers. We do this all the time with DH's hunting clothes. Used to do this with the kids bags of bedding/clothes after camp too. Lack of air plus heat kills them.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:10 PM

I am a faithful pre-washer! I am allergic to the chemicals that are on the fabrics that make them look all nice and crisp! After touching new fabrics, my hands will become itchy and break out and it takes several days to weeks to calm it down. It happens all the time when I go through a fabric store because, as most of you are, a fabric toucher. I have to wash my hands immediately and apply a prescription cream. If I sew something with unwashed fabric, I pay the price!!! I wash in warm water, gentle cycle, no fab softener and iron with Mary Ellen's Best Press.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 PM

eek! Glad I'm a pre-washer!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

being from the SOUTH..I hate cockroaches...to me they mean FILTH...I can not stand the thought of them and have seen them thriving in elecrtical appliances, and cardboard the most! They LOVE cardboard and fabric...

Right now you need to BOMB your room...leaving ALL drawers and closet doors wide open...

THEN you can buy this stuff called Roach Proof...it is a powder that comes in a plastic bottle and you snip the end off and it sort of POOFS out..put that around all the baseboards of the room and anywhere else you think they might run to!

THis stuff is also great for silver fish and spiders....LOVE IT...even had it shipped to Italy to use there...

I wish you luck...and yes everyone should always wash their fabric when they get it...if not for bugs, then the 37 carcinogens that are on it!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
being from the SOUTH..I hate cockroaches...to me they mean FILTH...I can not stand the thought of them and have seen them thriving in elecrtical appliances, and cardboard the most! They LOVE cardboard and fabric...

Right now you need to BOMB your room...leaving ALL drawers and closet doors wide open...

THEN you can buy this stuff called Roach Proof...it is a powder that comes in a plastic bottle and you snip the end off and it sort of POOFS out..put that around all the baseboards of the room and anywhere else you think they might run to!

THis stuff is also great for silver fish and spiders....LOVE IT...even had it shipped to Italy to use there...

I wish you luck...and yes everyone should always wash their fabric when they get it...if not for bugs, then the 37 carcinogens that are on it!
AMEN!!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:56 AM

Ewww...these posts are enough to scare me away from buying fabrics in certain places. Not! But, I will be very careful. We are not apt to purchase used fabric, but this can happen anywhere I suppose.

I sent a queen-sized double wedding ring to an Oklahome long arm quilter once. It came back with a large bug quilted right in between the top and the batting. I had a terrible time getting that out and repairing the stitches. They did not make any adjustment and I never sent them another quilt to do. Yuck.

Roach proof is mostly boric acid and I have used that a lot in Mississippi, Georgia and even Tennessee. It does work and is not that expensive. Good luck in removing your problem!
Old 07-02-2011, 04:48 AM

I live in TX and have never had bugs in my fabric...I even store some in bins in the garage. I would be totally grossed out if I were to start finding bugs in my fabrics, and I buy most of my fabric here in the state: only some is shipped to me from out of state and that has never happened to me....,knock on wood....good luck getting rid of those nasty critters.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I live in California. I read all of the posts on the reasons why some prewash and others don't. I have NEVER had any bugs in my fabrics. I buy from lots of shop hops around the state and from shops from here to Texas and back. I also order a lot online. And the only time I wash my fabric is when it has an odor. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.
I live on the coast just 2 hours from np3 and I too have never experienced any kind of critters in material, ever. So very sorry it happened to you and hope that you can find where they hitched onto your shipment :(
Old 07-02-2011, 05:09 AM

I live in Texas and have fabric big time. I have never seen a flying little roach in my fabric or my house. Of course, we are air conditioned and have it on most of the year. Can't imagine.