Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keep Your LQS in Business >

Keep Your LQS in Business

Keep Your LQS in Business

Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Another NH shop, Quilted Threads, has added an online store to their operation, but they have no plans on shutting the doors of their beautiful building. Peggy Anne's closing means the loss of a Bernina dealership as well.

I buy almost entirely from local shops, and not just for quilting stuff, because I'd much rather see my dollars stay in this area to help other local businesses and citizens. I believe in backing the home team. :)

It was my understanding from their newsletter that PeggyAnne's will become an online only store. There are family medical problems. And I think it said the Bernina dealership will be going to a nearby store.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM

I wish I could afford to only shop at a LQS. But I can't. I do try and buy from them on occasion, but it is usually sale or clearance fabrics. I buy where I can get the most for my dollar.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:38 PM

I agree with all comments posted, as I too am watching my spending, and trying to spend more wisely. Its difficult to see good places go out of business for one reason or another ....
Old 07-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by humbird
Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I too think its not my responsibly to keep someone in business. I like going to LQS but if they want to stay viable in this tough market with rising commodity prices then they need to maybe find away to broaden their demographic market.

Offer more entry level classes, allow kids and husbands to come in the store or at least not make then feel like outcast for being there. Offer sales and special rewards. Offer some cheap basic level classes to get new people interested. And maybe "gasp" find some cheaper lines to offer those that can not pay 10+ a yard. If they can not get good prices on their own then they need to reach out to other LQS and form a co-op and have buying power together

but those are just my thoughts. Like I said I like going but I cannot afford more then 5$ or so a yard for most of my quilts
Very well said!!!!
I could not have said it better....
Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM

I think it's a lofty notion to try to support a local QS but they have to meet the consumer half way. If I can find the same fabric +$5 a yard cheaper online I'll buy online everytime. I don't think it's cool for people to tell anyone how and where to spend their money.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 PM

I LOVE my LQS. Luckly their most expensive fabric price is $10.99 a yard. I am taking a 9 patch variation quilt class, it starts tomorrow. I am sooo excited. I went in today the pay for the class, I ended up buying the fabric for the class. I normally don't buy my fabric at the LQS, but I found a fabric that went well with my choices. I have to make my money streeeeeeeetch & lasssssssssst. (Like every1 on the board) :lol: :lol: :lol: My LQS will & can special order items for me. (Thats a ++++++++++++). The quilt is going to be a Xmas present for my sister-in-law. I hope she will LOVE LOVE it. ;-) ;-) ;-) We all have to do what we have to do, to make ends meet, & be able to afford our hobbys. (Sometimes a hobby is the only thing keeping us SANE!!!)

debra
Old 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM

I shop in my LQS when I can and really love their fabric. I like the classes they offer and they give a 20% discount for any supplies used for the class. I find that if I buy less stash and buy only when I need something for a project the LQS fabric is more aforable. In other words, if I buy less fabric I can usually buy better fabric. But, I also buy at JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby and online sometimes. Whatever works for each of us.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 PM

have to agree with others - the fabric is just too expensive at the lqs. I'm on a serious budget so on-line shopping is where I get my fabrics.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Ours seems to becoming more and more friendly to the budget shopper. There's a case with $3.99 and $5.99 fabric. On June 30 they offered 30% off of any fabric that was red, white, or blue. How cool was that? AND that included the bargain fabrics and ANYTHING that had ANY reddish, white-ish or any hint of any of the red/white/blue colors. That was a GREAT sale.

I spent most of my money on the $3.99 shelf - getting backings and even the fabric for two different quilts - the kind where you take one yard each of 3 different fabrics. That's less than $10 for 3 yds of fabric.

The workers are awesome - very child and husband friendly.

I can't buy most of my fabric there - unless they're having a sale like this - but I can get a border to complement something I've purchased online. When I go in I know I'm paying for the staff's knowledge of their stock and expertise.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 AM

If I'm going to give away everything I make (which I do), I need to buy fabric that costs less than the $11-$13+ at my LQS. I support local business whenever I can, but have to use my own brain (and dollars) when making purchases. No one is sending me extra money for anything, so will have to make do with cheaper fabrics, give it away, and be happy, too. Fact of life!