Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Just practicing my mistakes"?? My sorry tale of free motion quilting >

"Just practicing my mistakes"?? My sorry tale of free motion quilting

"Just practicing my mistakes"?? My sorry tale of free motion quilting

Old 07-10-2011, 02:04 PM

Well, now that I have read of your trials, I will continue to work on linear quilting, and echo quilting with my walking foot. I have had pretty good luck with it. (After my first attempt, which forced me to un-quilt half of it.)
When I do get brave enough to follow your example, I think I will try it on my older machine first. New machine is still too new to me. That way, if I have problems. it will be a simple mechanical fix. (New machine is computerized, and I am a very s-l-o-w learner.) Git r done! :thumbup:
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM

Well, if it helps any to know, you've taught a large number of women to not bother purchasing the preprinted patterns. At least I am glad to know that. Sorry, but I do understand what you're saying. I have no luck with FMQ and truley wish I did!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:06 PM

So sorry for all your FMQ woes - I can definitely relate to your problems (your writing is fabulous!). I have given it up for now but I do admire your persistence and determination. Straight line quilting is all I have done and probably will continue for now.

My suggestion would be to find a LQS or someplace that offers a variety of quilting lessons. If you live not too far from such a place, that might be your best bet. One where you can bring your own machine and get some expert advise might be useful for you too.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 PM

You will get there. if you have some scraps of big print or a small panel that you don't care for. Use that for a sandwich and just try to follow a line in it and practice on it. Don't give up. I am getting better at it myself. I saw some things I made a while back and some I just finished recently. Wow what a difference. Good luck and relax and enjoy.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM

I totally understand your frustration and I, for one, would be willing to pay to take a day long, hands'-on class, preferably one-on-one, to gain some expertise so I could quilt my own quilts with confidence. So long arm/experienced domestic quilters take note! I think there would be a market out there to learn to become proficient at quilting our own quilts and I would not only pay but be willing to travel to do so. Hang in there - it will get better......
Old 07-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned

1. Feed dogs down.

2. Stitch length at zero.

3. Use hopping/quilting/darning foot.

3. Wear Machingers gloves.

4. Change presser foot pressure to lightest possible if you can make this adjustment on your machine.

5. Be sure to have presser foot lever DOWN when you stitch with your quilting foot. Easy to forget this step but it may explain all your problems.

6. Practice on sandwiches made with backing, batting and top fabric. Mark these with designs you want to follow using an air-soluble marking pen. When the marks disappear in a day or sooner you'll be able to see how your stitches look on "plain" fabric rather than over penciled or inked lines.

All of this is IMHO, of course.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Linda1
I have practiced more on FMQ than anything in my life and cannot get it right. I am going to take a class in August to see what my problem is. I always get eyelashes and that is with new needle and fm foot. I just can't figure it out.
eyelashes come from "swooping" around the curves. we tend
to go faster on the "come back" of the curve.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:14 PM

the one thing that a teacher told me & that helped me the most is this---when you drive a car, you do not look at the hood ornament, you look at the road ahead. If you constantly look only at your needle, your mind can not see the road ahead. look where you are going. when you move that fabric, the needle will follow you, it will not run away. your brain needs to see the road ahead. sounds weird, but try it. and a glass of wine, and Machingers. good luck!!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:06 PM

I bought that very product 4 years ago at a shop hop.... it is still in the plastic bag...lol Quilter 1234
Old 07-10-2011, 07:16 PM

Well, I am still a beginner at FMQ. Slow hands fast machine and to practice I found the best success in sewing(writing) names of family & myself. My hands and head already know those patterns. When I work a practice sandwich I write on it with ball point pen the speed, how fast I think I moved, tension etc. settings on machine. I use a different color thread on bottom vs top so I can ID which is the problem area. My sandwiches are only 14" square so they are easy to manage and I do not need gloves for these. Gloves or even a sponge in each hand really helps me on the larger quilts.
Hugs!!! You can do it. I read it takes 6 months of practice if one practices 30 min to 1 hr a day. That is too long for me so I began to be sure I practiced every day. Quickly I saw improvement and began to quilt charity projects.
Wishing you the best!! Hugs!! Enjoy! Maybe even journal your progress including what went right and where improvement is needed.
Hugs!!