fleas

Old 07-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Fleas stink! Have you treated the house as well?
Just FYI Borax as in 20 mule team borax available at the grocery store scattered librally around the baseboards and aloowed to sit for 2-3 days will kill/deter about most any insects. It isn't harmful to the rest of us. Your dog will not go after it for they usually don't like the smell. then vacuum it up. you can treat your whole house, then just hit high traffic areas 1 x month during the worst months.

Give your puppy a hug and a treat. they'll love you again! :)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Fleas are horrible. Even if you remove them from the pet, they're in the house waiting to reinfest. The frontline or advantage will break the cycle. If you have cats, they need the stuff, too. Walmart and Sam's club have some new brand that's the same as Advantage but about half the cost. With 3 dogs and 2 cats the lower price is wonderful. Even if you haven't seen any fleas you need to keep on with the stuff. You can bring fleas in on your feet and it starts over again.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Get some Avon Skin so Soft. REPELS bugs, even on us. You dilute it with water, but can't remember the amts.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 PM

Most of the flea medications make my little dog kind of groggy or sick for a couple of days and Boy oh Boy, does she pout. But its better than fleas or deer tics that cause Lyme Disease
Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM

She may not be pouting but having a reaction to either the soap or the frontline- Our dog has trouble with certain kinds.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Regular Dawn dish soap is a great flea killer, it is gentle on the skin of young puppies and kittens.
This is the original blue Dawn.
YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS IF YOUR DOG HAS SEVERLY DRY SKIN LIKE OUR YORKIE/POODLE MIX DOES.DAWN DISH LIQUID REALLY DRIED HER SKIN OUT WORSE.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Weenween
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Regular Dawn dish soap is a great flea killer, it is gentle on the skin of young puppies and kittens.
This is the original blue Dawn.
YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS IF YOUR DOG HAS SEVERLY DRY SKIN LIKE OUR YORKIE/POODLE MIX DOES.DAWN DISH LIQUID REALLY DRIED HER SKIN OUT WORSE.
-------------------------------------------------------------
For this I'd suggest some pure Coconut oil. This is solid like lard under 75 degrees, above that it is an oil. I rub it on one of my cats, a Persian after her Dawn bath for fleas(we both hate that) and now and then melt some of the Coconut oil on my hands and run it through her fur. It's safe for her to lick off, might even help her gain a little weight, which she never does.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM

We have a severe problem with fleas in central MS but we have found out that the "Tar" shampoo like from Neautrgenia but the Dollar General sells some kills fleas...We have tried everything and this does work..Also helps my Yorkies skin...Try it!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM

The object for Dawn dish liquid is that it cuts the oils on the fleas and they drown. I don't think it actually kills the fleas unless they are in the bath. I have used it for our animals. Been through at least 50+ cats in the last 30 years. Raising and finding homes for most of them. Now we are into the Frontline and down to 10 cats and one small dog. Sams and Walmart sell a Frontline look a like, not made by Frontline, Pet Armor. We have just started trying that on our cats. Might I also suggest flea combs, they work wonders. All that crap they comb out of your animals is flea larvae and blood left for them to dine on upon hatching. Gross, hey? Vacumning and sweeping. All flat surfaces where animals lay or walk. When you comb your animal, be quick and squish the fleas you find and clean comb off with kleenix so when you are done you can throw away all the larvae(little salt like looking things) right into the trash, preferable bag up in a zip lock. It is full scale war to get rid of them. Have to attack on all fronts.
Wash bedding in hot water if possible(not hand made quilts) and hang outside. Animal beds need vacumning constantly and carpets, evey floors, vacumn, vacumn, vacumn and then take vac out and clean it outside dumping it right in trash. Don't forget all floors, basement too need vacumning. Nope, not easy keeping our fur babies comfy, but it is worth it.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 PM

Sprinkle the sleeping area with fennel. You can also feed them garlic treats(which most dogs love) and that will help protect them from getting the fleas in the first place. I managed humane society for 12 years and that was our trick.