Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creativity >

Creativity

Creativity

Old 07-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

It takes practice. Just enjoy what you like.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jerse
I really like the wedding ring quilt. Recently I saw an easy version; does this sound like a good one to begin with?
That is not a quilt pattern I would recommend for a beginner. Look at some of the Eleanor Burns books ( libary) and patterns they are typically very easy and have great directions .
Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 AM

Just jump in and create. As long as it's pleasing to you, it really doesn't matter about others, particulary when you are first learning. You should take classes if they're available from your LQS, also think about buying a kit. Thatway all the material has already been selected for you.

Lanny
Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 AM

Begin with small projects. You will learn and retain more by working from start to finish on several than by laboring on a large piece.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM

I started with a quilt pattern from Better Homes and Garden. I followed the colors shown in the magazine. I made many mistakes but had a fun time and was proud of myself for actually finishing it. So, just jump in and have fun... as many on the QB say, there are no quilt police.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Yes, find a pattern in a magazine or quilt store, or even a small kit that has fabric with it. You'll soon be adapting and creating in you mind and you'll have something to be proud of. YOU GO GIRL! We're here for you!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:14 AM

Our Senior Center has a free quilt class. I started going 2 years ago, and am now addicted to quilting. They start you with an easy pattern and help you choose material. It is fun to watch other people learn too, and you make lots of friends.
Alicia
Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jerse
I really like the wedding ring quilt. Recently I saw an easy version; does this sound like a good one to begin with?
This is probably not a good choice for a first quilt, unless you have extensive sewing experience. I would suggest looking for something without curves.
You could start with a DP9 (disappearing 9 patch). Do a search on this board. Result looks like more effort than it really is!
Here is one of many posts:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-137280-1.htm

As far a color choices, I look for a print I love, then pick one or two fabrics that coordinate. Often, there are registration colors printed on the selvedge that can be used.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:41 AM

The gals in your LQS will be happy to help you pick patterns and fabric. Pick their brains as much as you can. But do not be afraid to say "NO" to fabric colors that you do not like or find appealing. It is helpful to take classes if you can afford it or there may be a quilting group in your church or community that you can join that will give inspiration or help. Also my LQS has "free" open quilting sessions that you can get help with or it also has groups that you join for a small yearly fee that the gals are willing to help. . Good luck and SMILE- quilting is FUN!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

You might be interested in a pre-cut simple kit that your local quilt shop might have. Look at the blocks on www.quilterscache and pick one that says beginner or easy. I started out choosing fabric by getting a larger floral and picking colours out of it to go with the floral fabric. You can also choose colours by looking at the selvage. On the selvage there are circles of all the colours used to make that fabric. The first quilt I did was for a child and it was loved despite my less the perfect performance.