Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help and or advise on finishing someone else's top.. >

Need help and or advise on finishing someone else's top..

Need help and or advise on finishing someone else's top..

Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by MsEithne
After I hit send, I remembered a passage from the novel _Death Comes for the Archbishop_ by Willa Cather. It was published in 1927 and is a series of vignettes about a Roman Catholic priest sent to the New Mexico territory in 1850.

The following is from a description of a beautiful old adobe he stays in at one point: "The thick clay walls had been finished on the inside by the deft palms of Indian women, and had that intimate and irregular quality of things made entirely by the human hand."

That is the impression I get when I look at the photos of your aunt's quilt top.
What a great comment!
As to the quilt--does it really require a border? Many vintage quilts were simply bound without borders. I love the quilt and it is truly a treasure.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I would square them up, add fabric if necessary and finish it. It was a gift of love in the process. It would also please and comfort your uncle. It will be beautiful :)
I agree...it's worth finishing up
Old 07-13-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Put a wider border on it, and then square up the whole top... that way you can leave her portion as is, and still have a square up top :D:D:D
Ditto. I think your daughter would appreciate the quilt knowing all the stitching was from her aunt. It obviously was a work of love. Sounds like it would mean a lot to your uncle too. It's a beautiful quilt.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 PM

I would just square up the quilt and put a binding on it. The hours of love she put into the quilt should not be changed. I think it's beautiful and what a wonderful gift it will be!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 PM

Yes, add a border.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Use it as it is and think of all the time and love she stitched into this quilt.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:58 AM

I agree .
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 AM

Make sure you put a label on the back describing what your aunt did and her circunstances, her name and date. Then describe what you did to finish, your name and date.

This will be a great family heirloom.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Put a wider border on it, and then square up the whole top... that way you can leave her portion as is, and still have a square up top :D:D:D
My vote also
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Wow. I have just this past w/e been given the task of completing some tops made by the grandmother of a young friend. Her GM was a n avid quilter. You can see her expertise building over the years she worked. There are some orig!! 30's dresden plates by hand. I'm planning to applique them to a solid as is. Many of her more recent blocks were done with her granddaughter at her feet at class. I'm so honored that I was picked for this task. To complete the work of another keeps the chain of quilting alive. I'll do pics when finished.
leave the blocks as is, add borders and square. It is and will be cherished. Pegeth