Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a little talking to... >

Need a little talking to...

Need a little talking to...

Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Make a list and then start with the easiest item on the list. That is the best way for me to get started.

Thank you
Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 AM

I felt like that for nearly a year and couldn't even go into my sewing room, but one day I just went in and haven't looked back since. Don't beat yourself up over it, family things are bound to take time to work out!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 AM

How abut taking a trip to the hospital, and look at all those loving faces waiting for quilts?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
Originally Posted by kuseta
Tell yourself you're going to work on something for 30 minutes. Then just start something. After 30 minutes, if you're still not into it, try again tomorrow. But I bet once the 30 minutes are up, you'll keep going! This is how my housecleaning gets done sometimes! :-)
My advice also. Couldn't have said it better. I do this all the time. Works most of the time. And start with something that you think will be fun. Don't start with something that you normally dread doing.
This ought to do it! If not, call a friend to come sew with you or go to the friends' house and sew. Just make a square..a sweet happy one.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 AM

I have also been through family tragedies and I also quit sewing - literally - for a couple years. Had no desire to sew at all. I thought I would never want to make a quilt again. But time went on and I eventually got back into and now love it again. Your emotions will heal and you will be ready to quilt again someday. Be patient and let time do it's thing.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:09 AM

I never thought I would touch something as small as 3 1/2"
crumb blocks----but they are my salvation. mindless sewing, picking colors, something done right away. and pretty soon
I am lost in the process & my mind is cleared. agree with
everyone that just sitting in the room,reading books or sorting colors of fabric seems to soak the calmness into you.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 AM

This is so back handed but for me it works. I force myself to do something like deep cleaning, yard work or cleaning the garage and oh, my goodness quilting becomes so much more interesting! I am not trying to be flipant becuase I know that anything that happens to distract your from your passion must be taken seriously. I just works for me to take on a task that I really don't like to do and my quilting all of a sudden becomes so much more relaxing, interesting and fun again.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM

A lot of good advice has been given here. Answers to a problem we all have or will have at one time or another. Thank you all. Praying for you SuziC
Old 07-14-2011, 10:51 AM

I think the idea of 30 minutes at a time should work. I too think that is something that I will try as I've just been to lazy to get started again.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Sewing is my lifeline and the awful family stuff is part of life. If I can get in and stitch a little (mug rug or small block), I find my mood lifting and the slump disappears. The awful family stuff: not so much. Quilting only helps me...wish I could find a cure for the rest of the family!!