Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes >

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 PM

The organizers of these events are not being good stewards. Think of how much money they are losing.

Perhaps when approached, a crafter should say: "I cannot participate in your auction/raffle/tag sale BUT I have a lovely_____________(fill in the blank) that is worth $_______. You can display it for that price at your event and if it sells (at your price!) I will donate the proceeds to your cause.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mburdell
This is interesting. My husband has recently become a Shriner and they will be having an auction in August and he would like for me to donate a quilt. I told him that many people do not understand how expensive it is to make a quilt. He said I could set a starting price.

However, I am not sure how to set a price. Should I just base it on materials since it is going to a charity?

I'm not sure my feelings/ego could take it only selling for 15-20 dollars.
NO...you set the price at what it is VALUED at for insurance purposes! Our guild in AK made one every year for the cancer clinic, it never brought in less than $3,000.00! We started it at $1,200 usually!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greenheron
The organizers of these events are not being good stewards. Think of how much money they are losing.

Perhaps when approached, a crafter should say: "I cannot participate in your auction/raffle/tag sale BUT I have a lovely_____________(fill in the blank) that is worth $_______. You can display it for that price at your event and if it sells (at your price!) I will donate the proceeds to your cause.
I agree...they are only cheating themselves out of the worth of the item and disappointing the donor! I LOVE The idea of setting a price and saying if you can get that, it is yours! They need to know, that quilt is worth just as much as the shotgun next to it!
(NRA silent auction)
Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM

I'm sorry for all of those who made quilts that went for "pennies". However, I'm happy I wasn't the only one who got burned.
Made a twin sized quilt for auction at grandsons' school. It brought $90 which didn't cover the cost of materials. Their other grandmother bought it or it probably would have gone for much less. At least it wasn't quite the horror story as I've been reading here. Never again!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 PM

We have the same problem when we try to raise funds for QFK at local craft fairs. We've had donations of full sized quilts or beautiful kids or lap quilts and folks expect to pay $15 or $20.

I also tried aprons which we priced really cheap (under $15)and barely sold any (although we got lots of positive comments on how cute the aprons were). I was soooo disgusted. But what can you do? I made quilts for QFK from my own stash-that's the best I can do.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
sounds like a good idea to just give cash, and explain why. Save your nice work for people who appreciate it. Sorry this happened to you.
I totally agree. I had a similar experience. I am holding off next time.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:09 PM

Since they don't seem to appreciate the value of what you gave, I think a polite NO is in order next time and I'd seriously question giving them cash. Sounds like they need a wakeup call!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 PM

I agree. The cheerleadrrs need to bake or make a real effort to earn money.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Now THIS is an excellent idea ! ! ! !
Originally Posted by ptquilts
sounds like a good idea to just give cash, and explain why. Save your nice work for people who appreciate it. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:19 PM

When I donate a quilt for fundraising, I usually let the organizers know how much it cost me to make it. At my granddaughter's child care center's fundraising, they put my baby quilts in a raffle of $5.00 to win the quilt. They ended up making $65.00 for a $20 quilt, and one lucky winner got the quilt for just $5.00.