Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I want to give it a go... >

I want to give it a go...

I want to give it a go...

Old 07-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Welcome!!
Some times I buy charm packs but most of the time I use yardage to cut my own.(cheaper) Pre-cuts are nice if you are nervous about cuttting at first.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 AM
mim

welcome from Maine US. I thought Cessnock sounded familliar, so I looked it up on Google. It is a beautiful area. I visited it on a wine tour and the Hunter Valley is a wonderful district.
Welcome to the group. I, too, bought a "retirement" SM and it has been a workhorse. List all the features you want and another list for needs and then go on line and ask advise here. And don't forget a tradeed in machine. New models come out so often that a large dealer usually has some. And Sydney is so close that there might be some there

Let us see what you are doing.

Mim
Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 AM

I can't understand why your children feel that they should tell you what you can or cannot buy. If you want a sewing machine go to the store and buy it. I'll bet your daughters don't come to you and ask what they can buy! You are the adult and you don't need their permission to spend money that you worked for. Good luck with your quilting and if you need help just ask and we will help you to find the answers. Jenny Doan is one of the best teachers on the internet but the precut fabrics are too expensive. If you can manage to cut your own pieces it would be better. Maybe you can find help when you meet other quilters in your area. We quilters love to help each other. I live in Central Virginia U.S.A. at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Hope I can be of some help to you.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:45 AM

Get yourself a used Pfaff with the built in IDT (like a walking foot) YOU DESERVE IT!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 AM

Welcome from Alabama. Does you daughter pay your bills or help you financially? If not what business is it of hers if you buy another machine or not. I say go for it. You have raised your family and it is time for you to do what makes you happy.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Wecome from the Beautiful state of Arizona, USA.

I agree it would benefit you to join a group in your area to learn all you can first hand. I belong to a group here and we learn continually from one another and I have learned so much from this board. What a treasure and wealth of creativity and knowledge is on this board.

I would try a simple 9 patch design and make it small and then go on to machine or hand quilt it before tackling something larger.

I know the excitment of creating a quilt when first beginning, and the excitement never goes away - each new quilt is just as exciting as the first.

If you do not know who Ricky Timms is, goggle him and you will see the fabulous work he does. Also Eddie, here on the board, is just one of the fabulous men quilters that will inspire you - along with all the wonderful ladies.

I love seeing men involved in quilting. They seem to have a different eye for quilts that I enjoy very much.

Happy quilting!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 AM

Hello Mal and welcome from northern California, US! I love your spirit and I say "go for it" and be sure to keep us posted and, hopefully, share some pictures. You will enjoy it here, lots of friendly people and lots of help!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:53 PM

Hello! Welcome to the Board from Minnesota!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Hi Mal :) Welcome from Minnesota US!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:12 PM

Greetings & WELCOME from the great state of TEXAS. My SIL's folks live Australia.
This site is so awesome! I spend wayyy 2 much time on it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: