Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hubby taking over my quilting tools! >

Hubby taking over my quilting tools!

Hubby taking over my quilting tools!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 AM

Harbor freight is where I get my 45mm blades for my rotary cutter...I actually used one to cut linoleum, and then used it on fabric a week later, and there was no difference! And they're cheap too! I had my b/f pick me up 5 packs, with his discount for working there, and the sale, it was all of $6 for 10 blades. Seriously, if you have a HF near you, try them out! Its about 2.79 for 2 blades. Best blades ever IMO.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:52 AM

My hubby builds r/c airplanes and always finds that 'my' tools work better than his.......at least now he asks before using!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
At my house, I have been threatened that my 60mm rotary cutter would be used to cut pizza!
I'm seriously considering purchasing one of the larger rotary cutters for my pizza - sick and tired of my "regular" pizza cutter crushing the pizza.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 AM

DH loves to use my sewing measuring tape (is there an official name for that?). It's much more versatile and easier to use than the stiff kind that rolls up into that little contraption. But he won't ever go into my stuff and get it, even if he asks. All those sewing tools seem to intimidate him and he never want to touch anything.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:58 PM

About 40 years ago my DH "borrowed" a pair of fine pointed embroidery scissors that I had paid $20 for. He used them to cut speaker wire -- I almost killed him (it had taken almost a year to save up the money for them). He told me he would replace them, but by the time we could afford it I could not find anything even close. Needless to say it was the last time he "borrowed" any of my sewing things.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

ROFL I can just picture it! My hubby leaves my quilting stuff alone for the most part, but he has tinkered with my crochet hooks and knitting needles LOL... we have a deal, he does the laundry, I do the lawnwork. AND ~ leave my quilting stuff alone, and I won't play with his powertools (I love his powertools, I love woodworking)
EDIT: forgot to add, he loves to make pompons, I know that's a little weird, but if I give him yarn in school spirit colors and the pompon maker, he's happy. Go figure!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by scowlkat
(Wait until he has to replace a blade and finds out how much they cost!!!)
That won't stop him......He will just go to Harbor Freight....LOL
This is so funny, I thought the same exact thing as I read your note.......another story, my sewing machine case he wanted to use to take tools to help a friend and thought it was great and on wheels, etc. I told him if he touched it he would not have a hand to work with and then I told him to go to Harbor Freight and he can buy the same thing for only $25 or less depending on what he wanted.......have to admit Harbor Freight has some nice looking totes for your machines if you have not checked it out ...and a lot cheaper than in a quilt store, etc......
Old 07-17-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
Don't men have their own tools???
Ugh!! You hit on one of my pet peeves!! Hubby is always taking the first tool that comes to hand to do a job that is completely unsuited for it. He uses my good hand embroidered imported Irish tea towels to mop the kitchen floor, he uses my (former) best chefs knife to KILL MOLES, and my very expensive dog grooming table as a work bench (it is now covered in WD40 stains). He picked up my sewing shears once and I threatened him within a inch of his life.

What I don't understand is that my husband is an engineer and very particular about using the right tool for the right job in *his* shop - but when it comes to MY stuff he treats it with careless disregard. Fortunately it is one of very few things that tick me off about the man I love (on most days).

So yeah ... I get it. And I keep reminding my husband, he has to go to sleep sometime. I've often threatened to wait until he's in sleeping, sew the sheet up over him, then do nasty things to him and he can't get out.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by sandyo
That is why I have my own tool box although DH still uses it. Always easier to find.
Ditto. He doesn't know where I keep my tool box, so I know it is never missing pieces. He has to ask for a tool and I fetch it for him...then I watch over him until I get it back.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
Yesterday, I was planning to work on a table runner but couldn't find my cutting table. What the heck? How does something that big go missing? No problem. I'll use the dining room table, but my cutting mat is missing, along with my 24" ruler and rotary cutter. Thought I was going crazy until I heard grumbling from the spare bedroom. There was my hubby, cutting table, cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter. He was cutting window shade films for the spare bedroom and decided my quilting tools were exactly what he needed to get the job done. Not sure if it's good or bad to use my rotary cutter for cutting film. I may give him my cutter make him buy me a new one.

I should have taken a picture of him leaning over the cutting table, carefully using my quilting stuff. It would have made good blackmail material for his golfing buddies!

Any other hubbies who use your quilting tools? He's also used my scrapbooking tools. Don't men have their own tools???
OH MY.....that had to be funny...but smart...
Mine tried ONCE...and only once...I have since given him some OLD tools..warped cutting mat, fiskars rotary cutter that I simply hated and ruler that is about worn out and has one corner missing...yes, acrylic can and will break when dropped down 2 flights of stairs!
He is happy with my hand me downs!