Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-17-2011, 10:36 AM

8 sewing machines, 8 irons and 4 ironing boards? You are blessed to have the space for all this stuff!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 AM

I heard once that if price is the best thing about something you want to buy, you should walk away.

Originally Posted by laalaaquilter
Get help in letting go of the thrill of acquisition and get practice in the joy of giving. I learned the hard way too and still battle the acquisition drug ('but it's such a bargain' :-( )but I know it is for the best. Unburden yourself and let go of the blame game too.

HUGS!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Kitsie
I hope you never recover!!!
no really.....she/we do need to recover.

first off...unsub from ALL of the fabric shop emails...it isn't really that hard..took me about an hour...yes, a FULL hour to go through all the emails I filed away and just unsubscribe from that shop!

Then I did the same thing on facebook!
Then I deleted the upteen yahoogroups, I never really participated in, but just READ the links to more FREE patterns.

I am 50...I have very little time to sew/quilt/craft at all any more.
I have over 1,000 patterns, 300+ books, 38 UFO's that are all queen size quilts, another 50+ PIGS and about 3,000 yards of fabric. ADD to that my inking, painting, dyeing, stamping, discharging, foiling, threads, notions, rulers, die cutters, dies, machines, irons, you name it...and that one tiny 10' room contains nearly $100,000.00 in merchandise!

I have two children, both boys. Both not on their own in this economy. Both with NO inclination of making a family yet, since they are still NOT on their own. Should I ever get grands, those quilts are already made. NO need to keep the baby fabrics!
The boys both have 6 quilts now and each has a UFO that will be a wedding gift(should that ever happen)! My entire family is quilted out..as in they do not want/need any more quilts from me!

SO...why do I keep all of this stuff?
This is NOT my only passion in life...I no longer have my store, I no longer teach classes...it no longer brings me joy when I see it, it just STUFF that is weighing me down....so...it is all going...
I will never recoup 1/2 of what I have spent on all this stuff...nobody wants to inherit it..so I came to the realization that it just needs to go. Hopefully it will bring someone else some joy/happiness.
Well, when you're ready, please PM me. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Mary 9and I am also a Mary)
I have a similar problem but not quite as large -- onthe other hand, I am nearing 70 so you may have more time than I to solve the 'problem.'
I think finding a group that NEEDS quilts or needs to quilt, might be an answer. If you felt that your work was appreciated, it might be esier to let go of fome quilts.
If you find a group of folk that might need lessons (homeless shelter, migrant workers), you could start by teaching a class, giving lessons and the fabric to work with and the irons, etc to binding, there you are. 'teach a man to fish ..."
When someone gets to the binding part -- there you are, someone to do the binding.
Good luck on this and please report on your progress.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:49 AM

The thing that really brought home the "definitely don't need more fabric" for me was when I pulled 30 fat quarters out of the drawer in just three colors and all it really did was loosen up the drawer. You really couldn't tell I'd taken that much out and it'll make a queen size quilt.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Dkm

Mary, start with binding all those quilts. I bet if you would sit down and get started you would enjoy the accomplishment of seeing them finished. Binding is one of my favorite parts.....it means another one is DONE. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:59 PM

Well, Mary, you have taken two big steps today. You've admitted something has to be done and you got off all the mailings. Does that include the email notices from stores? Joann's? That stuff is poision. If you didn't know you needed it before you got the mail/flyer, then you still don't need it. You have gotten some wonderful suggestions here. If you go to the top of the page and type in fabric moritorium (I hope that is spelled correctly), you will find a group that started in January, I think. I found them the next month. I didn't realize how much I was "collecting just in case". I never dreamed of just working out of my stash! What concepts! Last month is the first month I didn't buy anything. There are some wonderful ideas there,too. Maybe just don't bring anything into the house until something similar has left. Baby steps. Believe me I was the worst in that group. But if you just take one step at a time, you will get there. Good luck. Let us know how you are doing. Pat
Old 07-17-2011, 01:00 PM

ah just go buy some more fabric- it'llmake you feel better-Hah
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM

I'm almost as bad as Arizona1 about a fabric addiction. I want a piece of every fabric I think I can use in the future, or just because I like it's cuteness, or beauty, etc.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:44 PM

My "fix" for a horrific marriage was fabric. I didn't realize how unhappy I was. I found peace and solace in my fabric, things I never received from my worthless husband. God had to show me the way out or I would never have had the courage of strength to move him out so I could move on. Looking at all the things associated with sewing serve as a reminder of what was missing. I am now complete by the grace of God and no longer feel compelled to buy, buy, buy. I analyze what is a want and what is a need. Even needs sometimes are not purchased. I have 12 sewing machines. I'm not bragging, I am ashamed of myself. How could I let it go this far? I once lived with the idea, and I know most of you have thought the same thing, she who dies with the most fabric wins. Well.....guess what.....you are still dead!! Pray with me that there is quilting in heaven....it may be choir robes, but it's still quilting. Have a blessed day.