Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! >

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
same here
Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM

I am not sure what your question is??
Do you want to know how to figure how much binding you need for a quilt project? Are you asking how wide to cut your binding? Are you asking how to do the corners as in mitering? Are you asking how to put the ends of the binding together as you finish attaching the binding to the quilt?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
Ditto for me!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:04 PM

I think you are worrying about the width being too much to just cover the seam. If you cut the binding 2 1/2" and fold it in half that is 1/1/4". Take a 1/4" seam X 2 = 1/2". Then fold over 1/4" seam X 2 = 1/2". That leaves 1/4" extra. You would divide that by 2 = 1/8" to play with. I have never had a problem with having too wide of a binding. If you are worried, cut your binding 2" which is what I used to do.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by quilting in my60s
I am not sure what your question is??
Do you want to know how to figure how much binding you need for a quilt project? Are you asking how wide to cut your binding? Are you asking how to do the corners as in mitering? Are you asking how to put the ends of the binding together as you finish attaching the binding to the quilt?
Is this note for me? EverNow? My question was confused to me, too. I was trying to ask: "If a second border is 4" wide do you still use 2&1/2 inch binding fabric? And do you sew the raw edge against the front then flip it over and hand stitch the back? Or is it the other way around? I don't know how to miter corners either. I took a good class, but that was 16 years ago.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Hey , if you want to learn to miter corners, watch Missouri Star Quilt Co. you tube video on mitering corners. I never could remember how to do it either. But the video explains it so well, it is easy now. :thumbup:
Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Donna in Mo
I think you are worrying about the width being too much to just cover the seam. If you cut the binding 2 1/2" and fold it in half that is 1/1/4". Take a 1/4" seam X 2 = 1/2". Then fold over 1/4" seam X 2 = 1/2". That leaves 1/4" extra. You would divide that by 2 = 1/8" to play with. I have never had a problem with having too wide of a binding. If you are worried, cut your binding 2" which is what I used to do.
This is exactly my question!! While I do appreciate all of the input, I am even more confused at how you can take anywhere from 2"-3" wide strips, and use a 1/4" seam on them all...without having more than "just enough" to cover the stitching. When I do it, my binding is never full, so I didn't know if perhaps it was supposed to be empty (no batting or top in part of it). If I wrap mine around to fill it, I will have 2 very separate stitching lines, pretty far apart.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 AM

I always leave a my batting extending past where I am going to attach the binding. If you make the binding 2" it will be perfect. Then just trim the batting to the width of the seam allowance. I think if you are hand stitching the binding that will be perfect. I think many do machine sew the binding and in that case you might need the extra 1/2" on the binding. I have used both widths successfully. Try it now, it will be great!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Thanks to everyone who shared thier knowledge. That's why we're here. A network of experts passing on the craft.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Hang in, I didn't think I could make them either, but I think mine are pretty good now...just have to work on my corners abit....I cut mine to 2 1/2 inches and stitch 1/4 inch with my walking foot...works great...