Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines? >

Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines?

Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 AM

I dropped all my magazine subscriptions about 3 years ago with the exception of Cooks Illustrated. Occasionally I'll browse thru some of the quilt issues in the store but they're all so repetitive. The Australian "Homemade" and the twice yearly "Quilt Sampler" are the only ones I buy now.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 AM

I dropped all my subscriptions two years ago. I do find quilting magazines and books at the Goodwill now and again and get them really cheap.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 AM

I'd rather spend my money on making quilts and buying fabric as needed; I have many patterns that I want to make - and the price of the magazines anymore or subscribing online is beyond my reason - or budget... It has gotten where most quilts pictured anymore are teh same pattern, just different fabrics... so I get no quilt magazines now and just need to use whta I have; one day I may get interested in getting quilt magazines again - maybe for a year - but then probably quit again - too much to lay around.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 AM

I too have stopped all my subscriptions to quilting mags. A few yrs ago I decided it was time to clear out the yrs worth of mags I had so I decided to go through them & rip out patterns I thought I might make while I'm still on this earth. Wow, did I ever feel ripped off (pun intended)after doing that! Once in a while there would be a new design, but the vast majority were the same - pineapple, log cabin, various 9 patches, and other public domain blocks. I dropped McCalls Quilting after receiving a renewal notice that really ticked me off. It came in a yellow envelope with large lettering that made it seem like one of my utilities was going to be turned off if I didn't "pay my bill immediately". I wrote to them about it, but never heard back. I also decided to drop Fons & Porter's mag after receiving an unsolicited cd in the mail with patterns for antique quilts. The cd said it was mine to keep for free as it was sent without my request, but then they hounded me for payment for 6 months. I finally packed it up & sent it back with a terse letter to leave me alone! From what I understand they no longer own their mag so they probably had nothing to do with this tactic, but still it is very unprofessional on the part of these mag companies to do this!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 AM

I dont get any quilting magazines anymore. There's nothng new and exciting in the ones I've seen lately. There are so many patterns on the computer I'll never get all of those done that I want to do.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:48 AM

I am also cutting out all of my magazines! I gave a bunch to the Library Guild. They resell them for 25 cents ea, Have purchased some there; but most of my ideas come from free on-line stuff. I also have EQ7 and I love to mess around with that and design my own quilts.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 AM

Yes, I am getting real conscious of the fact that I don't need all the magazines as there is no way I could even start making very many of the quilts represented. I can use my books and still never get them all made. And I think we need to use our imaginations and make our own patterns. It will be so satisfying not to copy everything we do. I am doing scrap quilts so I can use up much of the fabric I have laying around. Maybe a cleaner room some day. If I need inspiration, I can use the library. Its free.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:25 AM

I too am letting my subscriptions go -- too expensive and I HATE the auto renew (I have dropped several publications because they decided to auto renew -- and not just quilting mags)

I have plenty of books of blocks (mostly old from Half Price Books) and a bunch of mags from my subscriptions of the last few years. I have EQ and Blockbase so I can either use it or graph paper to plot out a whole quilt.

I love being able to grab things online, too -- such great ideas out there.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 AM

I get Fons and Porter and American Patchwork and quilting. Will probably stop both when they are up for renewal. Also tend to pick up Quilts and More and a few others but intend to stop that too. I have so many magazines that I think I'll use again but not happening. Need to find a place to donate them to. Some are from the 90's.

mltquilt
Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 AM

As my magazine subscriptions expire, I'm not renewing them.

I generally see one pattern in each that I really FALL IN LOVE WITH and possibly one other that I would do just because it looks like it would be a fun and/or easy one to do as a gift for someone.

With all the patterns, tutes, hints, etc., available on the internet now, it has become such a waste of money to buy magazines/books which will most likely sit on a shelf collecting dust or in a box somewhere, forgotten and never seeing the light of day again.

Money spent on not-so-necessary magazine/books is better spent on fabric, batting, and other necessary ingredients.

If magazine/book publishers want to keep a decent share of Quilters' devotion, they will need to drop their prices dramatically or else, become dinosaurs.

But that's just my humble opinion.