Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's so great about BOM??? >

What's so great about BOM???

What's so great about BOM???

Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 AM

since i am working on 4 quillows and accesories to go with each one i am following the stitch along bom and learning to do embroidery for something different to do away from the machine. it is on cloverandvelvet.com. if i really like one i will save it and then do it when i have all of the instructions cause i like to set my room up for one project at a time.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
I just don't get the Block of the Month - it seems to cost more than if you purchased the fabric yourself, it takes way too long to finish a project, and you don't get another block until you finish the previous one??? What exactly is so enticing about it?
yep...that is why I will be a year behind...just send me the blocks/patterns and I will do them all at once!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 AM

I am using my own fabrics in the BOM I am making. Actually using some of my stash. I like the BOM as this one is a mystery and I would never have even attempted it if I had seen the completed project. Not that I don't love it but would have thought there was no way I could ever make it and ir is coming out beautiful. I am a bit behind but I will get it finished soon.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 AM

My first and last BOM was what started my hobby of quilting. It was only $5. a month. As I look back on it now I'm glad I did it.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
My local LQS runs a BOM called the $20 quilt. You go each month at a preset time, get an update and demo on what's new in the shop, have a mini show and tell, see the new BOM pattern, drink tea and pick out your free fat quarter. By the time the year is over, you have 12 completed blocks, 12 fat quarters, learned several new techniques and viewed all the new merchandise, visited with your quilt buddies and have the instructions to complete your quilt - all for $20! I love BOM expecially the way my LQS ladies run it.
That would be nice is my lqs did this. They charge $30-$35per month!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 AM

I didn't get it either, but then I am one of the color challenged. I can see the ugliest fabric, think that nobody could possibly do anything with it, and then see it in a quilt and its gorgeous. I just don't have the "eye" yet. I am seriously considering a block of the month called rhapsody tonga or something like that. Gotta wait for payday to start one. It will work for me as I am brand new to quilting, unfamiliar with my machine, everything is pre cut and pre decided on, and I think by actually doing it myself rather than just looking at a picture of a finished quilt, it will teach me a lot about not only quilting, but colors as well. Virg.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 AM

Doesn't entice me one little bit. Way to expensive to begin with besides taking too long.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 AM

Some BOM are done with each month learning a new technique, a new pattern for something, or a very very big detailed quilt broken down into smaller sections. Some also are done in a line of fabric we would not normally buy, but really like the look in the quilt. We do them through our guild but everyone does the same pattern, just pick their own fabric. It's a lot of fun to see what everyone else does. A group of us quilters all got together and bought the same book. We each did the block for the month we were in and then showed them the 1st of the following month. It was a lot of fun and even though we all did the same pattern, all of our fabric choices and layouts were so different that a lot of people did not realize that they were all done from the same set of patterns.
Brenda
Old 07-20-2011, 07:35 AM

I belong to Buck-a-Block which is in some ways the same. You have, hmmmmmmmmm,probably the last time there were 10 different color combinations to choose from. You have to complete your block for the month and take it with you to show it's been completed and then they give you the next month's kit for the next month for $1.00. There is a one time fee for finishing fabric (binding, sashings, etc. usually around $50.00 give or take. I like it because I have no sense!!!! Am very goal oriented so once I start on something I'm AT it until done!!! This slows me down and I can get other things done like cooking and cleaning!!! or gifts to be made, etc. Plus, I'm lucky because my quilt shop owners have excellent "color combination" sense.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 AM

My LQS is just finishing up a BOM of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. I love the Elm Creek Quilt novels & wanted to do the sampler, but it seemed overwhelming to choose fabrics & have 100+ blocks to make. LQS started BOM with 4 blocks a month for $6. We got 84 blocks plus a couple extra (special classes to learn, extra $ for applique & foundation piecing). Mine are done & I'm starting to put it together. It ended early w/o all the blocks because some blocks were too challenging for some of us. I learned some skills I would have shied away from. I never would have made this quilt w/o the BOM. :thumbup: