Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting space? >

Cutting space?

Cutting space?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 AM

I have a dining room table in my sewing room that I bought a thrift shop
Old 07-22-2011, 06:08 AM

I agree with the PVC pipe. I put coasters under the legs to keep it from scratching the floor. Works great
Old 07-22-2011, 06:10 AM

I have a most wonderful cutting area. I don't have a separate sewing room, but my bedroom is quite a good size. Five years ago, I had my son get me a hollow, unfinished door, without the hand hole cut into it. I have that resting, against a wall, on top of an old computer desk, the kind that would have the top part added to it. It stays there great, no wobble ever. This is a desk without that top part. I also bought that huge cutting mat from Joann's, when they still offered 50% off of notions, and looks like it was made for the door. It is absolutely the best cutting table ever. I found an article about using the door on two saw horses, in a magazine. You can use whatever you want to place the door on, just so it is stable and is a good height for you. You just can't imagine what a joy it is to cut on this set up and, the door is not overly heavy to move,if necessary. Also, at the far right end I have my sewing machine set up, by a wonderful window, with a wonderful view. Oh yes, and it is awesome for pinning quilts too. Clamps work so nicely around the edges of the door.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:40 AM

Bed and Bath have the risers that work wonders. Height is much better and your back doesn't ache.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 AM

I use an old desk.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:05 AM

I either use my kitchen table or the counters. The counters are a perfect height for me also but I have cut many articles of clothing on my table and it does work if I need a larger area than the counter.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 AM

I live in a motorhome & use my stovetop covered with my mats. It's about 15" x 18". Not optimal, but it's all I've got.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 AM

I have a cutting table that is high but sometimes I use our breakfast bar which isn't bad :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old 07-22-2011, 07:30 AM

I use the bed risers from Bed. Bath, & Beyond and I use an adjustable stool to sit on...can't stand alot some days...so this works perfectly for me...Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I've found if I cut sitting down it helps to have a lower surface or an adustable chair.

But standing is so much more accurate for me, if a bit more painful. Because I'm only 5'3" a regular height table works just fine for a while. I can't stand much longer than "a while" anyway.

When I used to stand for long periods, I made 'risers' for my foldup table from PVC pipe (the stiff, white, plumbing stuff). They can be cut any length to fit over the legs and I put cane rubbers on the bottoms of the legs to keep them steady.

Jan in VA
Thank you so much for the picture - I do need a visual to help me understand.