Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
vintage??? Butterfly sewing machine >

vintage??? Butterfly sewing machine

vintage??? Butterfly sewing machine

Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM

I just google and didn't get much. But Austrlia has one one ebay. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Butterfly...-/220765906930
Maybe you can find out more there.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 AM

Hello,

I was wondering how you got on with this machine. I've just been offered one, but I have a teensy house, so I must say no to machines I'm not going to use. But it sure is prettier than my beat up Singer 15-88.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 AM

try doing a google search w/the model #; it may be one of the ones that were made under singer but w/different name.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 AM

It seems to be a JA2-2, the newer type. These are Chinese 15 clones, the newer ones have reverse and droppable feed-dogs, apparently. Problem is googling gets me a cubic buttload of Chinese distributors, but no actual info from people using them. The one I've been offered is free but far away, so I'll have to accept it without trying it first (and pay for shipping).
I don't want to adopt a poorly working machine, and "made in China" isn't a real stamp of quality, sadly, so I was hoping for some input from an actual user.

The reason I am even considering saying yes is it's so pretty and it would be lovely for my daughter to learn on one of these years, because treadles go nice and slow.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 AM

Here's a link to a manual for generic 15 class sewing machines. It worked for my Riccar machine - it's intended for all those 'clones'. Wish my Riccar was as pretty as that Butterfly!

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...al-rotated.pdf
Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

My pretty butterfly machine is still sitting in the garage, unused and untested. I do intend to get to it one of these days...
Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM

My goodness - I too would have snapped that one up in a hot second - it's gorgeous! I need to go and look on eBay now (grin).
Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 PM

Hello! I live in Scotland, UK and bought a similar Butterfly sewing machine in May 2010 for exactly the same reason - I thought it was incredibly pretty. I was in an auction house looking for cheap furniture after I graduated from university and saw the box with the butterfly on it... I asked the auctioneer what it was and when he took the lid off the box, I couldn't believe my eyes! It was the most astoundingly beautiful sewing machine I have ever seen. I had never even seen a vintage sewing machine before. I didn't expect to win the auction but out of sheer luck that the local expert was away on holiday, and perhaps because others at the auction could tell I wanted to buy it just to use it, I got it for next to nothing. But sadly I can't get it to sew and I don't know whether this is because the machine needs some TLC or just because I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. I will be honest I am a complete novice and although I am quite good at hand sewing and embroidery, have never owned a sewing machine before. I suppose this beautiful machine has opened up a new hobby for me by tempting me to buy it with its beauty and charm! But where to begin!?

I thought a good place to start would be to try to identify the model and find a manual for it and that is how I stumbled upon this thread. Although mine is slightly different in that it is a hand-crank style sewing machine so it has no motor or pedals or anything attached, the gold butterfly design is the same :) From what I've read so far, I agree that it seems to be a Chinese copy based on the Singer 15. I started reading the "Instruction manual for generic HA-1 15 class sewing machines" originally posted by deplaylady:

Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
Here's a link to a manual for generic 15 class sewing machines. It worked for my Riccar machine - it's intended for all those 'clones'. Wish my Riccar was as pretty as that Butterfly!

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...al-rotated.pdf
It is very helpful in many aspects, thank you so much! I have so far worked out how to put thread onto the bobbin and how to thread the bobbin into the bottom of the machine. However when it comes to loading the needle thread, I run into problems. I am missing the "Spool pin A" on top of the machine, shown in the manual under upper threading, page 7. Now is my machine missing this vital part or does it load differently somehow? It does have a spool pin attached to the base which is used for loading the bobbin, I also assumed it was for sewing but I may be wrong. I notice your machine is also missing this piece in your photo and also the one in the picture from globaltimes blog that I will post below, but I don't know if this is the way it's supposed to look or not :( It's frustrating not knowing the official model number etc. and not having much to compare it with. You said yours had a serial number, where abouts was it? I can't find one on mine but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

So far here are the best articles I could find that had anything to do with the Butterfly machine, which I thought were lovely and hopefully might interest you.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/DesktopModules/DnnForge - NewsArticles/Print.aspx?tabid=99&tabmoduleid=94&articleId=66488 7&moduleId=405&PortalID=0

http://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/ar...sewing-machine

http://sonenskadu.blogspot.com/2011/...g-macines.html

Unfortunately I am in the middle of moving house at the moment so I don't really have time to play with it and get it working, but I certainly plan to after the move. I will keep you posted on my progress and hopefully post pictures once it's had a good clean! Please keep me updated on how you are getting on with yours too, you are the first person I have heard of with a similar machine to mine so if you find out anything about it (most of all I would like to know when it was made!) please tell me!

Finally thanks to everyone for your helpful comments and links and I have to be honest - I am not a quilter, I simply found this thread from a Google search and joined in order to post a reply. But I once made a quilted cushion in primary school and enjoyed it, and the main thing putting me off trying to make a quilt is the sheer time it would take to sew something large like that. A sewing machine would make a world of difference - and so I have decided that if I ever manage to get my machine sewing again, I will definitely endeavor to make a quilt with it!

Thanks again and good luck!
Emmy, UK
Old 02-27-2012, 02:07 PM

I would have not passed it up either. Looks like a Class 15 Clone. She should sew like a dream.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by NekoEmmi View Post
Hello! I live in Scotland, UK and bought a similar Butterfly sewing machine in May 2010 for exactly the same reason - I thought it was incredibly pretty. I was in an auction house looking for cheap furniture after I graduated from university and saw the box with the butterfly on it... I asked the auctioneer what it was and when he took the lid off the box, I couldn't believe my eyes! It was the most astoundingly beautiful sewing machine I have ever seen. I had never even seen a vintage sewing machine before. I didn't expect to win the auction but out of sheer luck that the local expert was away on holiday, and perhaps because others at the auction could tell I wanted to buy it just to use it, I got it for next to nothing. But sadly I can't get it to sew and I don't know whether this is because the machine needs some TLC or just because I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. I will be honest I am a complete novice and although I am quite good at hand sewing and embroidery, have never owned a sewing machine before. I suppose this beautiful machine has opened up a new hobby for me by tempting me to buy it with its beauty and charm! But where to begin!?

I thought a good place to start would be to try to identify the model and find a manual for it and that is how I stumbled upon this thread. Although mine is slightly different in that it is a hand-crank style sewing machine so it has no motor or pedals or anything attached, the gold butterfly design is the same From what I've read so far, I agree that it seems to be a Chinese copy based on the Singer 15. I started reading the "Instruction manual for generic HA-1 15 class sewing machines" originally posted by deplaylady:

It is very helpful in many aspects, thank you so much! I have so far worked out how to put thread onto the bobbin and how to thread the bobbin into the bottom of the machine. However when it comes to loading the needle thread, I run into problems. I am missing the "Spool pin A" on top of the machine, shown in the manual under upper threading, page 7. Now is my machine missing this vital part or does it load differently somehow? It does have a spool pin attached to the base which is used for loading the bobbin, I also assumed it was for sewing but I may be wrong. I notice your machine is also missing this piece in your photo and also the one in the picture from globaltimes blog that I will post below, but I don't know if this is the way it's supposed to look or not It's frustrating not knowing the official model number etc. and not having much to compare it with. You said yours had a serial number, where abouts was it? I can't find one on mine but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

So far here are the best articles I could find that had anything to do with the Butterfly machine, which I thought were lovely and hopefully might interest you.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/DesktopMod...405&PortalID=0

http://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/ar...sewing-machine

http://sonenskadu.blogspot.com/2011/...g-macines.html

Unfortunately I am in the middle of moving house at the moment so I don't really have time to play with it and get it working, but I certainly plan to after the move. I will keep you posted on my progress and hopefully post pictures once it's had a good clean! Please keep me updated on how you are getting on with yours too, you are the first person I have heard of with a similar machine to mine so if you find out anything about it (most of all I would like to know when it was made!) please tell me!

Finally thanks to everyone for your helpful comments and links and I have to be honest - I am not a quilter, I simply found this thread from a Google search and joined in order to post a reply. But I once made a quilted cushion in primary school and enjoyed it, and the main thing putting me off trying to make a quilt is the sheer time it would take to sew something large like that. A sewing machine would make a world of difference - and so I have decided that if I ever manage to get my machine sewing again, I will definitely endeavor to make a quilt with it!

Thanks again and good luck!
Emmy, UK
Emmy, when you finish your moving, you can post a picture of your Butterfly on the Vintage Sewing Machine thread. I am sure we can give you some help on getting your sewing machine up and running. It was likely made sometime in the 50s or 60s.