Mutant daylilies

Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 AM

I had to go check out my daylilies this morning in the yard....was hoping I would get a mutant, too...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Never seen those before but I like them

Susan
Old 07-26-2011, 01:02 PM

I grew up in NH and we even had them growing along the side of the road but I've never seen them doubled before. I would contact the horticulture department at the nearest U of M. Who knows, you have discovered a rear mutation strain right in your back yard... :roll:
Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Kas

I have them, too. I really love them, especially since a good friend shared with me.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM

Believe it or not...I went to an hour long lecture on the hydridization of day lilies. This is an industry in my town. Apparently the day lilies we raise in this area are unique and win contests and are like patented. They are cross breeding them now so they are all kinds of colors and have what I call trendils. It was amazing.
------------------------------------------------------
And anyone who lives downwind of these plots might, just might "get" some new varieties from pollen driven by the wind. Some of the big plant propagators who actually allowed others of that group to tour their places were the kind who went out each morning and I'll swear checked their plants, each one, with a magnifying glass. That's the way they find new ones, and after a few years might make a bundle selling them to WalMart or other big box stores. My FIL "found" one different plant in his plot of thousands of seedlings, (in a windy valley that had thousands of acres of other stone fruits) and I think he got the first patent for a seedling (the S37) every won in the US. It was nematode resistant where all the others around it were more or less sick with curling leaves, etc.
So watch your plants, they might make you a lot of money some day. Go and get that book of Jill Churchill's, Mulch Ado About Nothing, which will give you a very good layman's idea of what this process depends on.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:46 PM

I have a lot of them, they are real hardy in Wis. But I have never seen one a beautiful as yours. I have a single one that had one every other petal yellow and every other one dark orange It was different, but not as nice as yours.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:51 PM

Yes, I have lots of those, too. They are beautiful. Mine grew to over 4 ft tall this year!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Absolutely beautiful and the color is magnificent! :D
Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM

we have these here in northern ms. they are just a double bloom lily.they grow everywhere here too.they are beautiful.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by cwessel47
Wandering through my yard the other day, I noticed something I think is extraordinary. Here in the Northeast we have the typical orange daylily in every yard. Can't seem to stop 'em. But have you ever seen one like this!!!!?????

That lily is named Kwanso. Double variation of the roadside orange lily.