Is my husband a keeper?

Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
As you all know I didn't know how to use a sewing machine until last August. Long story short I took to quilting like a kid in a candy store. My hubby brought me a sewing machine from Sears about 5 years ago for Xmas and it was all of $89. He didn't think I was serious and I didn't learn how to thread a bobbin until last year so it was a little bit of money well spent. I brought a Singer Confidence and had it sent to Afghanistan to have a second machine. The Kenmore quit on me and I tried to revive it by letting the maintenance section look at it. Its dead. Meanwhile I had been using the Singer and as I got more proficient I noticed that it does not sew as smooth as the Kenmore did and I paid what I thought quite a bit for it. (I had no idea these things could cost more than a nice new car.) Well I informed my husband that I needed a new second machine and this was his response: "Well, since you are serious about this sewing and quilting I am going to get you a very nice expensive machine that is going to last some years and be reliable so you can do what you enjoy what you doing without any major worries but you have to wait until you get home to get it becasue I don't know what I am looking for." I love him! Is he a keeper or what? More importantly, what kind of machine should I get??? Board members I need your help!
I loved my kenmore sewing machine that I bought over 30 years ago, used it to make clothes for the kids with material from the 2nd hand shop & garage sales. It died so my DH got me a Brother sewing machine and I was hooked. I have 2 Brother sewing machines, one embroidery machine (Brother as well!), but my next machine will be a Husquvarna. I like their computer machines a little better. Brother computer machines are so easy to use and love it myself !

And the Kenmore ? Well it was repurposed last year after it had died an no one had parts for it (too old I was told), with parts and pieces to make stuff for gold panning LOL so it will live on for many years as another machine !LOL The motor still runs but the machine itself was as they say"Fubar!".
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 AM

He's definitely a keeper.

As far as the machine, try them all, but check them out carefully, some of the newer machines by brand companies are not as good as they used to be (used to be made in Europe, some are now made in China). I know Bernina still makes all or most of their own at their own Swiss factories. I have an older Pfaff made in the Czech Republic, but some are now made in China. The Japanese brands are mostly still made in Japan.

The most important thing is determine what your needs are and what suits you the best. I had a top of the line Viking Designer machine with embroidery, but I didn't use it and traded it in on a Pfaff with less fancy accessories. It also felt less tempermental (to me) about having different fabrics run through it than the D1 I had.

Older machines have mostly metal guts, while many newer ones have more plastic parts. You could also try to find a gently used machine, such as a Bernina , Juki, Janome, or Pfaff.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 AM

I love my Viking!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 AM

I like my Pfaff, but I also have a Bernina, Brother and featherweight Singer. Each one is good for certain things. If you are on a budget, you may find a really good older machine that will serve you better than some of the newer one. The new ones are great when they are working, but the electrics can be costly to repair.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 AM

My suggestion would be to go to the sewing machine stores and try out the machines. When you go, have in mind what you want your machine to do. Embroider as well as quilt? Test out several brands of machines before you buy. I have a Janome that I am so happy with and it is about 10 years old. My husband has an old Bernina (about 35 years old) and we really would not part with either of them. Happy Shopping - and yes, he is a keeper.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 AM

He is a keeper. I like the Janomes also. I just bought the Horizon. But you should try them all to see what suits you.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:26 PM

He's a definite keeper. I like Janome and Babylock
Old 08-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Yep! He's a keeper!! I love my Pfaff. It's the perfect machine for me! Let us know what you decide to get.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:14 PM

Sounds like a keeper to me. I have had mine for fifty-nine+ years, and I am glad I kept him! You can always find a new sewing machine, but the hubbies that pay for them are sometimes hard to come by. :)
Good advice from our board, try out several and find one you love. Make sure it is "user friendly" because some are so complicated to operate, it becomes work. More expensive isn't necessarily better. It depends on what you want to do with it. Have fun, and happy marriage!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:33 PM

I got my Janome 6600P within the last year and I love it! It is a great quilting machine. My favorite "new" feature is the built-in scissors (sounds silly, doesn't it!) In the past I have always used Kenmore and they are good machines, too.