Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences? >

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Too political, too judgmental, too demanding. Nuts to that. Now I belong to a loosely-organized group of quilters that has no requirements, no rules, no membership.
Sounds like what I am looking for!Tonight is my first night to go to a guild meeting so we will see.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by cbridges22
Too political, too judgmental, too demanding. Nuts to that. Now I belong to a loosely-organized group of quilters that has no requirements, no rules, no membership.
Sounds like what I am looking for!Tonight is my first night to go to a guild meeting so we will see.
Yeah Cindy, isn't this making you feel all warm and fuzzy about going to tonights guild meeting? LOL
Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by valsma
Originally Posted by cbridges22
Yeah Cindy, isn't this making you feel all warm and fuzzy about going to tonights guild meeting? LOL
You are so funny!See ya tonight
Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I hope you two have a great experience. Jennifer22206 I am so disheartened that you had a bad experience. I would love to have someone with your "youthful" exhuberance in our group!--want to move to Iowa?
I joined the local guild in my rural town two years ago and have enjoyed it immensely. We're small and would like to see our guild growso we are working to become more active--outside monthly meetings are optional for members, but the opportunity is there for all.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Kas

We don't have comments about the show and tell, just clapping. I think that is a good way to do it. I like my guild. I don't know everyone in it, and some I thought were nicer than they really are, but no one has ever made me feel like I didn't belong.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:05 AM

Right now I use the forums I'm on and the instructional You Tube videos as my "guild."

We have one that meets in our area I just haven't had the time to go and check it out.
I have heard a lot of negative about guilds; cliquey, unfriendly or unwelcoming. But I like to form my own opinions on things so someday after I'm done homeschooling and my children have left me I think I'm going to try this one.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:47 AM

I joined a guild about 8 years ago, at first I was shy but the people were very welcoming and I took every class available, which are a very good bonding experience. I love our guild, there are the little groups and the politics but I ignore it. Just go with an open mind to learn and share the experience. there is so much knowledge in a a guild and most of them do not mind sharing and helping.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:34 AM

I belong to two guilds. One a friend and I started. We put up a notice at the local fabric store and several people showed up. We keep it very informal and have had lots of people join up. We now have 32 members.
the second is larger around 75, its harder to get close to people in a large group. I tried to volunteer to help with quilt show etc, took a bit but people warmed up after a few months.
6 of us get together about once a month and sometimes more. we also go to shows etc as a group.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:35 AM

Just like any organizations quilt guilds have a "personality." If one doesn't seem to suit you, try another. Don't give up. You'll find a group that suits you. Or get together with your quilting friends to form your own quilt guild.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:37 AM

I belong to two guilds--one at my winter home and one at home home. I know only a few people as they are both rather large but always feel welcome. I have a hard time meeting people and never remember names and it is even worse now with my chemo brain but I love the show and tells and do mget to know a mfew people. I know anyone would help if only asked.