Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How many sewing machines do I need????? >

How many sewing machines do I need?????

How many sewing machines do I need?????

Old 08-08-2011, 07:51 AM

lol, I have one- a trusty old Singer 301A mounted in a folding table that my grandmother gave me 11 years ago.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
lol, I have one- a trusty old Singer 301A mounted in a folding table that my grandmother gave me 11 years ago.
Well at least the one you have is a great machine! I will one day have my Mom's 301; just had it cleaned and serviced for her. She is 92 and still sewing on it.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 AM

I think you've answered your own question ! In order to do the best job possible , you must have the wright equipment. I always have two machines set up when I'm quilting. that's when some one has to have something repaired. Just take it to the other machine. I LOVED my first Singer from 1975, but it would over heat when I was going to town quilting so with the other one set up I could keep on quilting. The motor just wasn't heavy enough.
We LADIES must satisfy our Speical Urges in what ever way nessary !!! Mine is ALL types of sewing, fabric and all the trinkets needed to complete my URGES. Any way this is my answer to you.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 AM

Good answer. Thank you.
Originally Posted by JUDYANN
I think you've answered your own question ! In order to do the best job possible , you must have the wright equipment. I always have two machines set up when I'm quilting. that's when some one has to have something repaired. Just take it to the other machine. I LOVED my first Singer from 1975, but it would over heat when I was going to town quilting so with the other one set up I could keep on quilting. The motor just wasn't heavy enough.
We LADIES must satisfy our Speical Urges in what ever way nessary !!! Mine is ALL types of sewing, fabric and all the trinkets needed to complete my URGES. Any way this is my answer to you.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by quilter53
My question is why do we need so many? I am such a practical thinking person, ugh, I have to have a logical reason for everything it seems. I do want 1 more if I get an Easy Quilter to use with that. Also, I think another to sew on and one to use the embroidery machine so I won't have to use the same one. that' s for convenience. 2 is all I can come up with that I "need".
I have one that straight stitches, one that zig zags, one that does the decorative stitches but I use it sparingly since the noise of it hurts my ears... I have a second one that can do zigzags and a few decorative stitches that the kids like to sew on... another straight stitcher that I would love to play with (might put it in the other ones cabinet), but it's missing a part (still waiting). I want a portable electric, and a hand crank (just cause), and a serger. I am on the fence about an embroidery machine. Hmmm... I'm sure I could come up with a good reason to keep a few more around two with little motivation :D
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by royllsister
Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
Well at least the one you have is a great machine! I will one day have my Mom's 301; just had it cleaned and serviced for her. She is 92 and still sewing on it.
Yes, I love it and hope it never dies because I don't know if I could ever figure out another machine, lol! This one is pretty foolproof. All other machines intimidate me!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:41 AM

You can never have too many! My wife and I have our collection of 33 machines (including 12 cabinets) in our little frame home. It’s crowded, but there’s always room for 1 more.
Photos and descriptions of them are on 5 web pages beginning at:
http://thayerrags.com/sewing.htm
(none of these machines are for sale, at least for the time being)

We also have 7 more machines in use at the shop, and as of today, I have 312 parts machines and 30 parts cabinets/stands/treadles (stored all over town).

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM

No wonder I can't find one to buy at a reasonable price. They are all gone -- stockpiled.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am pushing the triple digits right now! Half of my garage is filled with OSMG buyouts and treadles. I really need to cut back or sell a few of them.

Billy
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, triple digits----------as in you have 99 and your eye on one more???????????
Honestly it is probably over 100 but I am not even going to count. but I will admit a lot of them I am going to sell off to foot the bill for some more rare ones though.

Billy
Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
No wonder I can't find one to buy at a reasonable price. They are all gone -- stockpiled.
Just think of all those estate sales one day!