Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece >

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 AM

I am so glad that I came here this morning and read your post.
I so so agree with you,even though it took me many more years to figure it out.
You ---and all you other ladies---have just made my day...............now I will go ,grab the scissors and try to make a scalloped border on my tabletopper.( I have always been afraid to try it).
Thank you .
Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 AM

So sorry that you are surrounded by so many strongly opinionated "mentors". Good for you to just enjoy your craft. I am very fortunate to have many helpful quilting friends who always encourage and sometimes suggest an alternative way but who ultimately always say "...but it's your quilt so do what makes you happy". Words to live by :)
Old 08-11-2011, 06:43 AM

Sometimes I just need a blanket for guest. Sometimes I just want a quilt to practice using my LA quilter. I've learned to relax too.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 AM

I have to tell a little story, has nothing to do with quilts, but on progress of another art. Crocheting. My grandmother had taught me basic. Single and Dbl. I got to the point, I was teaching myself harder stitches. Popcorn to be exact. I got some really pretty peach wool and was making my mother a sweater for mothers day. It turned out beautiful, but one arm was longer then the other. My mother wore it. Rolled/pulled up the arms a bit. Could not tell one was longer and wore it with pride. I said mom you are so fussy with your dressing, why wear this sweater?? She said it was made by you, it's beautiful, I love the color. Boy was I so proud
Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 AM

I have been quilting sence the early 60s, My quilts are made with love,no need for blood, sweat, and tears. If it ever becomes a chore I'll quilt no more. The qp do not reside here.
quilt because you love it and let your creative juices flow.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 AM

I totally agree. I have never tried for my quilts to be perfect. I figure it this way, I sew for a stress relief not to add more. And honestly one of my favorite quilts I made, has 6" sashing because when I tried to trim the blocks none of them matched. And honestly every time I look at that quilt I smile. My theory is if more that three corners match on a block, I'm trying to show off. LOL
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 AM

I started quilting about 7 years ago (I'm 72). I don't quilt the most ornate quilts. There are many techniques that I have not tried. I make quilts for my family and friends and they seem to love them. I think there is a lot of pressure to always do something more difficult and I think it creates a lot of insecurity with us.

When I make a quilt, I take into consideration who I am making it for, try to pick fabrics that fit what they want, but I am content to make a simple quilt for them and they seem to enjoy them. Especially the baby and children's quilts. The kids love them.

My quilting is for me as well as for those I give them to. I don't always want to be frustrated because I can't do something to someone else's expectations. I want it to be relaxing and enjoyable to me.

I do take classes and I have made some rather difficult quilts and wall hangings. I also do my best, but these difficult ones weren't my most relaxing and enjoyable times.

So - sit back, relax, enjoy your quilting. When we quit enjoying what we are doing, we usually end up quitting.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 AM

I don't worry about whether anyone else likes what I'm doing, as long as I do. The overall result is what counts. So far everything I've done has been liked by everyone. I'm an old fashioned quilter and don't do the machines and use regular patterns, don't do the fancy stuff, but I love quilting and that's what matters!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:55 AM

Very true. Sometimes I will enter a quilt in a local quilt show just to show it off, not to win anything.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Your new attitude is terrific PumpkinPatch! No use trying to quilt for the quilt police or the meanie-mean-pants crowd. Quilt for your own creative fulfillment and for people you love! And you know what? Some the most innovative and stunning quilts are made by THE RULE BREAKERS! Here's to the new freedom found for your artistic soul! :thumbup: