Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilting Gloves"-Are they worth it?? >

"Quilting Gloves"-Are they worth it??

"Quilting Gloves"-Are they worth it??

Old 08-13-2011, 10:38 AM

I use Fons and Porter gloves and like them very much. They help grip the fabric so that you can move it easier.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:44 AM

I attended a free-motion class at the LQS and was instantly sold on Machingers ($8) from listening to the women's experiences with them. I used them for the first time yesterday. What a difference! I totally agree with what everyone else has said about them. They definitely increase friction, making it easier to control/move the quilt sandwich, but what I really noticed is how they reduce fatigue not only on my fingers, but also my wrists, elbow and shoulders. Oh my! That was a shocker!

I wore them from 7pm until 3am! I was so intensely focused on quilting that I didn't realize my sewing room got up to 92 degrees. I use CFL bulbs too, but something heated up my room. My point is that despite the absurdly elevated room temperature, my hands did NOT sweat or feel hot. Machingers are ultra thin, very comfy and appear to "breathe". I didn't feel like I was wearing gloves on my hands and yes, I could thread the machine! Amazing.

I might try garden gloves due to their low price, but I'm hooked on and definitely recommend Machingers.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by sunflower126
I too have the Fons and Porter gloves that I use all of the time. Couldn't quilt without them.
I use Fons and Porters all the time too. I buy them when Joanne's has a coupon for them. I have had quilting friends say that the machingers get too warm.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 AM

I love mine. They really help me move the quilt around.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 AM

I use Grip & Stitch quilting disks.They let you move the quilt around freely. I can't stand the gloves; too hot.
www.clevercrafttools.com is an online source. They are sold in many quilt stores in the Pacific NW.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM

I use Machingers Quilting Gloves. They are wonderful, my hands don't get hot and sweaty like they do when I use the gardening gloves.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM
Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I have a pair of Machigers and I can quilt with much less shoulder pain using them. They sure help gripping the fabric.
Ditto!
Ditto! Machingers are worth every penny. Cloth drys my hands out, and then I can't guide the cloth. Machingers does the trick.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:02 PM

For me the gloves make all the difference in the world when quilting. I have Fons & Porter and just replaced them with a pair of garden gloves from the $ tree. I can't see any difference. As others have said...make sure they grippers on them.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 PM

There really is a difference between the gloves. I love th Machingers I could not find mine and I am using a different pair...huge difference and my hands are tired.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:05 PM

I agree with every thing you just wrote...I love them....worth the money.
Originally Posted by geckos42
I attended a free-motion class at the LQS and was instantly sold on Machingers ($8) from listening to the women's experiences with them. I used them for the first time yesterday. What a difference! I totally agree with what everyone else has said about them. They definitely increase friction, making it easier to control/move the quilt sandwich, but what I really noticed is how they reduce fatigue not only on my fingers, but also my wrists, elbow and shoulders. Oh my! That was a shocker!

I wore them from 7pm until 3am! I was so intensely focused on quilting that I didn't realize my sewing room got up to 92 degrees. I use CFL bulbs too, but something heated up my room. My point is that despite the absurdly elevated room temperature, my hands did NOT sweat or feel hot. Machingers are ultra thin, very comfy and appear to "breathe". I didn't feel like I was wearing gloves on my hands and yes, I could thread the machine! Amazing.

I might try garden gloves due to their low price, but I'm hooked on and definitely recommend Machingers.