Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • sewed my finger today!!  Have you ever done this???? >
  • sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

• sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

Old 08-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Try soaking your finger. I have done it twice. The last time I broke the needle and thought I had it all, then two weeks later I noticed a sore spot next to the finger nail and squeezed it and part of the needle popped out. Never did hurt.
    Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM

I was covering a motorcycle seat (leather) and the needle broke in three pieces. The sharp pointed end remained threaded and the shank remained in the machine...The middle part flew up and stuck in my eye. I held my eye open while I found my way to a mirror where I pulled it out. No eye damage but sure scared me!
    Old 08-15-2011, 04:23 PM

Wow, after reading all these posts about the accidents with needles, I know that quilters are a strong and hardy group as well as being very creative. I don't think I could take a needle bit out of my eye, but then again I didn't freak out when I saw the brokenneedle shank sticking out of the center of my finger nail and the needle point sticking out in another direction in the finger pad.

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
    I was covering a motorcycle seat (leather) and the needle broke in three pieces. The sharp pointed end remained threaded and the shank remained in the machine...The middle part flew up and stuck in my eye. I held my eye open while I found my way to a mirror where I pulled it out. No eye damage but sure scared me!
    Old 08-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    Yep! About 5 years ago ONLY my finger was stuck under the foot feed. Yes tetnus shot. Needle broke in thre pieces. 911 call for help...stuck. 4 really cute paramedics to the rescue. Pain. No. Needle missed the bone so just needed Tylnol for a couple day. Washed booboo w/anticeptic soap, sealed fingernail w/super glue.

Should we start a new group? Sisterhood Brotherhood of the Sewn Finger. No dues required. Just need to share the stories.

Just a thought.

I like the " Sisterhood Brotherhood of the Sewn Finger. No dues required. Just need to share the stories."
    I sewed through my pointer finger in a sewing factory. Industrial
    machine, I was attaching binding on a little playsuit. All I remember was the boss raising the needle out of my fingernail and being a little faint.
    Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM

Yes, I sewed my finger when I was 6 years old and was using my mom's treadle machine. She said you will learn to keep your fingers from under the needle if you are going to sew. I have been very sure to keep them out of the way. I also stapled my finger with a stapler at school. Teacher said about the same thing, your fingers don't belong under the stapler.
    Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 PM

I feel for you I've done it myself and it does hurt. I cleaned it off with alcohol pad, put some Neosporin on it and a band aid and it didn't get infected. I watched as my finger went thru and watched the needle pierce it and couldn't stop it just let it go thru. I didn't get a tenus shot and I didn't have any problems just was sore and couldn't use it for a few days. My needle wasn't rusted so I wasn't worried about a tenus just cleaned it up. Thinking of you hoping it gets better quickly. Sue
    Old 08-15-2011, 05:46 PM

No, but I cut the side of my finger in a paper cutter when I was teaching 3rd grade. Everyone sat while I went to the office for some TLC. It was pretty bad. When I got back, one of the kids said, "Gee, Mrs. A., you didn't even swear." One of my favorite memories of 33 years of working with kids.
    Old 08-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Ouch sorry can't help you with that and sure i don't ever want to :-( I think you should be fine once you take the shot
    Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 PM

I feel for you and hope you heal fast with no problems .
    Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 PM
    Dee

Sewed my pointer finger a long time ago. Have nicked my fingers. Hope all heal fast. Throbs like crazy.