Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting? >

Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting?

Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting?

Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 AM

I get sick and tired of all the "stuff" periodically. I purge and then do machine embroidery, garment sewing, home dec. I eventually quilt a bit as I like to visit with quilting friends in the States periodically, and they keep me at it. I have a short attention span and large projects, while I love to start them, end up as UFO's.

Your mom may just be tired of all of it. My 85 yr. old mother loved to sew. She doesn't anymore. It's too much for her. She will knit a bit and embroider. I think sometimes our interests and physical abilities change so we do different things. If your mom wants to stop quilting and sewing, let her. Your thoughts of putting some of her stuff away to save for her is a good one, for the time being.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I pretty much quit for about 5 years after I closed my shop. I just couldn't make myself design or quilt; but I maintained my stash...

I'm grateful I did that because one day I woke up after the third move and made three baby quilts in a week. I was back in business!

Jan in VA
Jan, this sounds so much like me. I, too, had an
on-line quilt shop, and I was designing patterns for
a major fabric manufacturer. But when I closed the
shop and stopped designing professionally (6 years
ago, now) I hit a major slump. I continued to make
a few quilts for a while, but I think I have only made
3 or so in 6 years. This is from someone who sewed
every day and was constantly turning out quilts or had
one in the works.

For the last 2 years I have not completed even one quilt.
I would say that is a major slump. I wrote about all
this when I first joined the board, and I got many
replies. I tried some of them, and have even found
some new quilting friends, that I enjoy very much.
But even with all that, I just cannot seem to get over
this slump I'm in. When my friends come over to
sew, I help them, but I just can't seem to move forward
myself.

I am encouraged that so many of you have gone through
similar things and have come back around eventually.
I, too, considered selling everything and getting out all
together, but finally decided to reduce my stash, but
not get rid of all of it. To replace fabric at today's prices,
would be impossible. So, I'm hanging in there and
hoping that one day soon I, too, will walk in my sewing
room, get excited about a quilt, and be back in the groove.
Have a Blessed Day!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 AM

Not by choice have I given it up. Recently had a ruptured disc, it has affected my arm, hand and fingers. So that has stopped me. Not liking it a bit.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:36 AM
nab

I have my moments. Somtimes I do not quilt for weeks. During this time I usually do some knitting, crochet, tatting or some other needle work. Then when I'm tired of that I usually go back to quilting. I hate to be pressured or overwhelmed. I look at all the books, patterns and fabric I have and do not know what I want to do next. That is very uncomfortable to me. Once I decide what I want to do I'm okay again. As a matter of fact there are times when I think about cutting my older fabric into 2 1/2" strips and go from there. I could do alot of strip quilts for charity.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:41 AM

I can't even imagine not wanting to quilt or sew. These last couple of months have been hell because I haven't had time with moving -it took so long and it exhausted me mentally as well as physically 'my youngest niece came up from Oklahoma to help..She picked out a pc. of fabric and we're going out to find backing fab in a wee bit and I can't wait to be able to start cutting and sewing and even ripping seams sounds wonderful to me :-) --I'll say a prayer to the Quilt Goddess for her Spirit to visit those who are in need of her divine intervention
Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 AM

I have slowed down but never stopped and NEVER wanted to quit completely!!! :wink:
Old 08-17-2011, 07:25 AM

My Mom taught me how to sew clothing when I was 12. I took a quilting class at 28(when I was pregnant with my first child). She was so interested, we picked out fabrics & I'd show her what I learned each week & would give her the templates to trace around. Over the years we made quilts seperately and together. She was diagnosed with Alzheimers
5 yrs. ago. She would always "light up" when I'd bring a quilt to work on while sitting with her in the nursing home. She really deteriorated beginning last spring, and I found I couldn't even sit at the machine. She died Dec. 12 & I have only been able to begin sewing in the last couple of months. I'm back full speed ahead now, but when I finish
a top, I "forget" & think of what she's going to say when I show her the latest accomplishment.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by star619
My Mom taught me how to sew clothing when I was 12. I took a quilting class at 28(when I was pregnant with my first child). She was so interested, we picked out fabrics & I'd show her what I learned each week & would give her the templates to trace around. Over the years we made quilts seperately and together. She was diagnosed with Alzheimers
5 yrs. ago. She would always "light up" when I'd bring a quilt to work on while sitting with her in the nursing home. She really deteriorated beginning last spring, and I found I couldn't even sit at the machine. She died Dec. 12 & I have only been able to begin sewing in the last couple of months. I'm back full speed ahead now, but when I finish
a top, I "forget" & think of what she's going to say when I show her the latest accomplishment.
I lost my Mom 20 years ago and I still have those moments every great once in a while where I think "I'll give Mom a call and tell her about this." It's hard to lose your Mom but glad that you have gotten back to quilting so that some fond memories can take over the sad/bad ones. She would be glad about that!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
Yeah kinda sorta. I don't know if it's because summer is here or what but I have no interest in it right now. I've had a hard time forcing myself to even go into my sewing room when it is rainy or blah out & even last winter. I think my anti depressants need changed & maybe I would feel like myself again.
Reminds me that a few years ago, I was having a hard time getting myself into my sewing room and that is very unusual. Changed anti depressants and got back in to it! Made me very happy!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Yes, it lasted about three days. Then I organized and am happy to work in an organized environment.

Sometimes, I feel guilty and look at the stuff and say: "There's my children's estate!"