Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 PM

I'm not sure???? I would like to try one but I really can't justify buying one nor would I want to do it as a business. :?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 PM

I don't either. Too much money.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM

One doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles, it's just all the extras that make a LA out of reach, like 27.000.00more or less.

Consider that your quilt, when quilted on one of those bells and whistles deals, will end up being a quilt made by two people and i wouldn't stand for that one bit lol.

I have a Gammill and wouldn't live without it as I want my quilt quilted when I am done. My LA has a regulated stitch and that's it and that is all that I need. If you have been quilting your quilt on your regular machine, you already know how to manuver a quilt.

A simple regulated stitch LA is all that is needed and you can freehand to your delight. I belive the machine I have cost about 14,000.00? I think...it's the Optium with the bigger throat.

This machine already comes with a lot of goodies. It has a laser for pantograph, the round wheel in the center for circles, guides for straight lines of stitching, it has a horizontal lock and a virtical lock and lots of extras for the money. I haven't even used what I have. It is delivered and set up by the dealers and then you are trained for several hours, it's no big deal.

My machine already payed for itself by the quilts I have quilted and my customers love my freehand quilting and besides, they don't have to say quilted by me never! They made the quilt, the credit is theirs.

Having a LA is such a plus if you quilt a lot like I do.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Nope, don't want one either. Too expensive, don't have the space for one, and don't really want to learn. I'd rather send my quilts out to be quilted.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:47 PM

nope don't want something so big . i did get a flynn farme though it helps so my work isn't bunched in the back. seemed no matter how good i pinned it wasn't right and to many pins are just in the way. i just got it a couple of months ago so still practicing. with it you move the frame not the machine so it is a liitle different even though you use you own sewing machine with it.it was on sale 150 dollars at nancy's notions so compared to a la that really isn't anything.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?
I'd not buy one simply because I'm not good at drawing or even following a dotted line. If I could afford a completely computerized one, that would be different.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM

I don't want a long arm machine either. I have neither the money nor the room for one. I really would like to have an embroidery machine if I could use it to machine quilt. I guess it is "To each their own." :)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 PM

I have no desire for a LA or even to 'rent time' on one. I admire the professional quilters who do LA quilting - the designs they do are beautiful - but it is not something I want to do.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns
I my self...can say I will never buy one, nor rent one. I am just not into the feel of the quilts done on one. They do look very pretty, but they feel like a U-Haul moving blanket to me.
Agree!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Newby0709
I can't afford it, don't have room for it, and don't hold interest in one area long enough to justify it. I'm happy with my current equipment.
I agree.