just a warning....

Old 08-26-2011, 06:12 AM

that is so terrible people are treating her different, its not her fault at all. Give her a hug from us to her ..
Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 AM

So sorry to hear this. I always wash fabric when I buy it.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:28 AM

How horrible for her. My thoughts are with her and family. Hugs.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 AM

thanks so much for the info. I have bought used furniture that is upholstered and never thought about this. Horrible that she has to go through this.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 AM

Hugs for your sister.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 AM

My son had a similar thing happen. They bought a used childrens bedroom set from Craigslist that apparently had been infested. They had two estimates for over $5000.00 to get rid of them because of the multiple trips that would have to be made and the extensive measures they have to go to. They brought in dogs trained to sniff them out. They couldn't afford to have it professionally treated so he went to one of the places that mix the insecticide up for you and you have to spray it yourself. He was told to take the covers off the electrical outlets and wall plates, turn off the main house power, and spray behind the walls as far as he could reach because they will infest into the wall cavities. They took all the furniture outside and put it under black tarps in the summer sun in Phoenix, AZ so that should have killed the little buggars. Shortly after that the bank forclosed on their house and he said the only good thing about it was that they would finally be free of the bugs. They left all of their old furniture on the curb and he cut it all to shreds and put a big sign on it so no one would take it. Ann in TN
Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 AM

My one neighbor sent her daughter off to college last Aug. In mid Sept just a few weeks later her daughter & her two room mates had to be moved to a hotel and weren't allowed to take anything with them, not even there books or computers. They also had bedbug infestation. The whole apartment building had to be fumigated. Two of the girls were from out of state with no family around to help them. The school finely after several weeks moved them into a new apartment building and when they got thier stuff back from the cleaning company everything was pink. It all was ruined and had to be replaced! The insurance company that they had renters insurance with wanted receipts for everything they had. Who keeps receipts for all thier purchases that long! Who can afford to replace everything they own all at once to produce new receipts for reimbursment also!

Makes you very skeptical about taking anything used, but I have brought home brand new food items from stores that had bugs in it lots of time! Now I put dry goods into air tight containers such as crackers, noodles, flour, sugar, cereal, etc because it doesn't take but 1 infested box to ruin everything else in your pantry!

My heart goes out to your family members!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 AM

AWWW GrammaBabs so sorry to hear about this problem for your sis. U know I have thought about shopping at these diff places and wonder who had this stuff before me and if they were clean:::I also, wonder if Goodwill, etc.does anything to these donations to clean when they get them. Do they spray something???? Give your sister Big HUGGZZZ and tell her THINGS WILL GET BETTER. She and her family r in my prayers.::::
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM

If you have an Extension Service which is a dept. under the
USDA, in our area there is a Office in Each County listed as
(co. name) Extension Service they should be able to give
you info. on how to eradicate "bed bugs." We used to have
bed bugs years ago (not in the wooden furniture) in the creases of old matteress with the roll around the upper and
lower sides and buttons in the middle. After two or three sprayings with the old hand pump sprayers used for wasps.etc. we got rid of them. I am sure that by now they have something they could recommend to be used.
Just a suggestion. missbelle
Old 08-26-2011, 08:47 AM

I hate to be the bad guy here, but here goes.........

I am very afraid of my home being infested by ANY bug that would cost thousands of dollars to get rid of. I don't purchase ANYTHING at the Goodwill type stores for just this reason. When I stay at a hotel I always carefully check everything to make sure there are no bed bugs lurking. I'm not a nut, and I'm not paranoid. If my home had one of these infestations, I simply could not afford the cost of the extermination. I WOULD LOOSE MY HOME.

Now........ a story............. I was at an outdoor event and a really nice lady came and sat down beside me and we chatted for quite a while. Then she tells me that her house has an extreme infestation of bed bugs. I waited a short period of time and then thought of a reason to discontinue my conversation with her and moved away. I'm not a nasty person, but those little buggers were no doubt on her clothes and heaven forbid I bring them home.

I don't want to be rude to ANYONE, and I feel terrible for this nice lady who does not deserve to have this problem. However, I also can't put my empathy for her problems above the possibility of sacrificing my home.