Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet >

Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet

Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet

Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I have not had a problem ordering fabrics online.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:21 AM

As the saying goes, "don't throw out the whole basket of apples if you find that one is bad." For the past 6 years, I've been ordering fabric via the internet from all over the country... from dozens of real "shops" (not thru ebay) and not one fabric has disappointed me. Everything has arrived on time, or if there was a short delay I was contacted immediately about the delay with the option to cancel. Once the delayed (not more than a week) item arrived there was usually a small gift of extra fabric for my patience, and always a personal note of thanks. Some shops even sent fabrics with a personal touch... "gift-wrapped", while others just sent fabric in a mailing envelope... but regardless... the fabrics have always been top quality! And, that is why I do not hesitated to re-order from any of them.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by mitzs
Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
I've been wondering why people would buy on-line, I would be concerned that the true colors wouldn't be represented on my monitor, or not feeling like I have a good grasp of the scale of the print, or not getting to feel the quality, etc.

But then I checked out an on-line store for the first time last night... and I think I may be in trouble!! lol
I live in a small town and while there is one lqs here, I am not impressed with it or the people at all. I wasn't drawn to a lot of the fabrics because there isn't a lot to select from. The inside is dark with dim lighting. I am 45mins to an hour away from the next quilt shop. It will be cheaper for me to order online with gas prices the way they are. I love to shop online.
This sounds like you live in my town, lol! Dark, dingy, old styles adn the owner is anything but friendly. I buy most of my fabric online too and have been disappointed only once in the color match. The piece is big enough for a backing on a large quilt so I'll have no problem using it with some other quilt.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 AM

I purchase almost all of my fabric online and have to say I have never been disappointed. Example is Fat Quarter, just received my latest order from them and I'm delighted. They ship very quickly, package the fabric with great care and I've never received something and thought it was less than I wanted. The fabric that I have purchased from sellers on Ebay have been outstanding with only one exception in many purchases. Also equilter handles only the best fabrics, and yes sometimes the prices for the big name manufacturers are steep. I just pass on those that I feel are too much for a yard. Color wise I've been fortunate I guess because I've had very good experiences in that area as well. You have to watch who you buy from and where the fabric they are selling comes from. All in all I will continue to buy online. So sorry you had a bad experience because fabric is expensive and to not get what you wanted hurts.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:50 AM

I don't order online much. I have quite a few LQS and also Hancocks, JoAnn's and Craft Warehouse close. So shop mostly locally. However, I do order clothes online and most places have a customer service person that I can talk to and work with. Do the online quilt places have customer service people that could assist you in matching colors? Computer screens aren't the best places to match colors.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:52 AM

I recently ordered from a Lady that was on the internet. She lives down in FL and her fabrics are fantastic and for the quality, I think very reasonable. She also carries fabrics that are out of print; something I was looking for to finish a boy scout quilt for my DGS. She had it; she called me; we talked a couple of times. When I told her about my quilt group and the quilts of valor and pillowcases, quilts, etc we make for various charities - she enclosed 3 yards of beautiful patriotic fabric for us to use.
As she said, my way of giving back a little something. I am posting her link here and I hope you look through her materials.
She is wonderful.

MusicandOtherMemories.com
727-418-0388
Karen Donnelly, owner

PS - we had a LQS close yesterday. Owners were crying; everyone was buying what was left; 14 years in business. Support your LQS, please and thanks.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I had the same experience a month or so ago and posted a warning to everyone about reading the return policy when ordering on-line. My experience was with the owner who was rude and condescending; needless to say I won't order from them again.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 AM

I'm sorry you had trouble with your on line purchase. That hurts all of us that sell fabric on line. They should have a return policy. On my web site I offer returns.

lindaraestreasures.com

Sometimes its hard to get the colors just right when taking pictures of fabric. Please visit my site and let me know what you think. Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 07:33 AM

Sometimes when ordering more than one cut of fabric, but want it to be co-ordinate, I give the online shop a phone call and they will tell me if it is a match. Have always had good luck that way. I, too, depend on the online shops as I don't drive and hubby doesn't like taking me to quilt shops 30+ miles away because I already have an entire wall of fabric!!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
have you ever been 'less than excited' over the color of fabric you received? What, if anything, did you do about it? I probably won't order any more fabric on line - regardless of the price, to avoid colors that don't match.
It's part of ordering online...if you are familiar with a particular fabric, it's easier to know what you're getting. The problem is that with different monitors on computers and different cameras taking the photos of the fabrics, the colors you see are probably not exactly what you will get.