Monster Irene

Old 08-26-2011, 07:00 AM

Praying for all to be safe and have been for two days already. We are in Rochester, just far enough west that we may end up with rain but that is all (that's predicted!!!). Anything can change. Thinking of all of you many times a day.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Sending prayers out there to everyone who's in Irene's path. Stay safe. We'll be waiting to hear you all made it through safely.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM

Keeping all of you on the east coast in our thoughts and prayers. Hope all goes well and you are all okay. Hugs.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Hope, but be ready if electricity does not stay on ... we have been without electricity for as long as 6 weeks (one summer 6 years ago). Get batteries; a portable tv or radio is always good Dfor such cases. Charge up your cell phones before and use them sparingly so they will last. Lots of canned foods, i.e. tuna fish, spaghetti, etc. what sounds like "eew" now may be "yum" later. Always plenty of water. Gas in your car, etc. Thinking of all you folks on the coast. Hopefully, it will not be as big an event as media hypes up but be prepared and never take a hurricane for granted... Once the storm bands start coming, stay inside and relax. Keep your pets inside for the duration of the storm also... use pet pads and/or newspapers, plastic bags for waste and some good old 409 for clean up. Do not let them outside until everything is over and power lines have been checked. Every year here someone/pet is killed from stepping into a puddle that is charged by an unseen powerline. Best of luck... hopefully it wont be too bad.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Originally Posted by craftybear
Be safe,

you can also fill up gallon jugs from your tap water,

you can also fill up the bathtub with water, so you can still flush toilets

fill up washer machine (to have extra water to flush toilets)

Originally Posted by nyelphaba
I feel like a big monster is coming for us. I keep watching TV for updates and I am scared. Went to the grocery store and they were already out of water so I went to another and their supply is getting very low. Have batteries, candles, battery operated lanterns, water and enough food for us and dogs. Gas in cars and tomorrow I will put the patio furniture away. I am afraid of the flooding and falling trees.
My FIL have gone thru ANDREW and CHARLIE in Florida and he would fill up the tubs for flushing...he had a lot of damage as Charlie was a direct hit. Don't forget to tape windows.
taping only keeps the glass a bit together when it breaks... board your windows if you can ... if you can't stay in a room that has no outside windows... flying glass is not fun.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by redquilter
Yes, sounds like Irene may be the "big one" the meteorologists have been talking about for years. My heart goes out to those in the Bahamas who have been hit hard and to all others in harms way. All we can do is prepare and pray. Be safe, everyone and check in, if you have power, from time to time to let us know you are all right. (I'm on Long Island also)
Media often hypes it up more than the storm requires ... BUT you do not know that until after the storm... NEVER take a hurricane for granted... just prepare, then relax.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 AM

Take care. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 AM

Best of luck to you! I'll be following news - hope all goes well.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Having lived thru many cyclones (what they call hurricanes over seas) while living in Vanuatu for 19 years, there isn't anything else I can ad that others here haven't covered. We had plenty of battery powered lamps as well as gas lamps so we had some light when the electricity went off. We always boarded our windows so we didn't get any light from outside. I remember during one cyclone, we had a friend of my son's from New Zealand staying with us, and she got down on the floor with me surrounded by the portable lights and helped me baste a queen quilt!! Never one to let a cyclone interfere with my quilting!! Luckily, other than trees down and rubbish left in our yard, we didnt' have damage-we lived in a very sturdy block/concrete house with a well-strapped on roof!!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 AM

We have a house in Wilmington and talked to our neighbors today and they are "battening down the hatches" and expecting 70 mile an hour winds.......We are praying for your safety....