Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :) >

my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :)

my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :)

Old 08-28-2011, 12:29 PM

I was in my early 30's when gray started showing up. My stylist started adding highlights, which helped camoflauge the gray for almost 20 years. Now all she does is color my roots and guess what? As it grows out, my gray is now the highlights for my "dishwater blonde" lol.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM

I do pretty much the same as QuiltNCowgirl. If I had pretty gray I wouldn't touch it; but my yukky blonde will never turn completely silver or white. My Mom and 2 sisters (brunettes) have beautiful snow white hair and the "natural blonde" in the family doesn't...lol.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 PM

I started noticing the grey on my 30th birthday. Only a few strands here and there. Over the years I did highlights as well as full color. In my late 40's my hair was so badly damaged from coloring, daily washing, blowdrying, curling or flat irons that it just started breaking off in clumps. My hair never held color for very long and needed to be done every 3-4 wks or the roots were horrible looking. After the breakage started occuring I just quit dying it and went natural. By then the grey was much more evenly distributed and no longer the 'skunk stripe' down the center of my head so I was fine with it. DH could care less and I've gotten many compliments in the almost 10 years since. Plus it's way easier to care for now.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Here in Australia we are called the 'grey nomads' as so many retirees with their beautiful silver hair take to the road with their caravans etc, to enjoy their hard earned freedom. Silver hair used to be a sign of age and wisdom - aren't we all wiser for our years of experience? To colour or not is a personal choice, - being of a relaxed disposition I prefer the natural look and no white line to deal with as the colour grows out! We are what we are and should be comfortable with ourselves.Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

my hubby loves my long white hair- and it is so much easier to deal with without those white stripes when i don't get it dyed in a timely manner-
i really got a kick out of the 10 year old already deciding to 'just go gray when she turns 30 -to avoid the crisis :)
Old 08-28-2011, 02:57 PM

Too funny CK !! Be glad it isn't mousey brown with gray or you would be BLONDE # 9 !! :-)
Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by gaevren

I think that sleek gray/silver hair looks quite elegant especially if it's styled nicely.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

When I met my wife she was this hot older Red head that rocked my world something fierce. We have been married for 26 years now and last year I saw a photo of her in high school and she was blonde. I asked her why she bleached her hair when she was gorgeous just like she is, and she replied "I am Blonde" :shock: WTH!!!

I knew she got her hair highlighted and all of that but I never dreamed that she was something that different. And after 26 years of marriage you would have thought I would have known better. But I will say for 57 she still is the same hottie I married when I was 19!

Billy
Old 08-28-2011, 03:28 PM

I've been toying with the idea of just letting mine go gray...but mine will be gray, with a white "halo". My family discourages me from going gray...but my sweet husband tells me he could care less what color my hair is, he didn't marry me for my hair! :)

It would be easier to not have to mess with it!
Old 08-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Tried dying mine for awhile, but my hair is very porous and no matter the color, my hair would grab and be very dark. Finally my sons and husband all said they liked it better gray, so that is how it has been since. I get lots of compliments on my hair, so guess at 72 I'll just leave it. My MIL always died hers and she had it really dark and it looked awful. When she was here for my sons wedding, my hairdresser did her hair and after a little "private" talk with her, she used a lighter shade on MIL , it looked so much better. Even MIL thought she looked better.