Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:38 AM

Glad to hear you all made it ok. I'm from Louisiana and i know those hurricanes can be a bitch.

Originally Posted by Ginny B
Well, made it through most of Irene. Rain has stopped and now we just have lots of wind. We may actually see clearing this afternoon. Minimal damage so far. Just some branches down on the big tree in our front yard, and part of the fence down between us and our neighbor. No leaking and as far as we can see, all the shingles on the roof are ok. We'll get a better look at things when we actually go outside. We haven't yet because the wind gusts are still pretty strong and things are blowing about.

We never really lost power -- it just went out a couple times for just a minute and came back on. I shut down the computer when that happened. I guess we still could have some wind damage but I'm hoping not. My sister had a leaking roof and water in her basement so she definitely got the worse end of the deal.

Didn't sleep much at all. We wouldn't sleep in our bedroom because the big tree that lost the branches is right there and if it came down, we'd be hit. Hope everyone else made it through ok.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Why is it that here in Pennsylvania the worst part of the storms that hit are always in the darkness of night?? Been perched at my window most of the day waiting for Irene (after securing everything outside like lawn chairs, tables, etc.). Been raining on and off all day (nothing more than we've had in the past 2 weeks), but sounds like the heavy rain & winds will come later. Not being able to see what's going on outside really freaks me out (my kiddos feel the same way). Sure hope my guineas are safe in their new coop. Hubby thinks they will be fine. Prayers to those who are dealing with this storm.
I'm not sure really. but it seams like every time there's a storm or something's coming our way, it happens at night. it doesn't bother me, i just sleep through it. well, except when the transformer goes out about 50 ft from my window. 3 times. the first one woke me, the second one was louder and brighter and had me clutching my cat thinking it was lightning striking down, power went off and back on, then the third time came, loudest and brightest, right outside my window, but on an angle that I couldn't see the telephone pole, and the power went out.

It's really scary when you look out the window and the shopping center is dark, when it's always lit up. But the icing on the cake was when I went downstairs to go to the bathroom and my dad shined the flashlight in my face. after that, I slept fine, one up the street went out around 4 and another one a little farther away at 6. all that happened to me around 1.

hope you're all doing fine where you are, we just have a lot of wind
Old 08-28-2011, 12:28 PM

It's really difficult to appreciate what some of you must be going through. Here, where I live in the UK, we grumble about the rain but rarely do we have very extreme weather conditions. With no electricity, maybe a little hand patchwork?! My prayers are with you all.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Happy to report not as much rain fell here as predicted, but the wind was as bit scary. Only one big tree down in the driveway, and power stayed on! I think the PPL electric guys must've done a GREAT job during all the tornado damage it spared us. Several people in our area are without power, but can you believe the sun is now shining? Thanks for the prayers, everybody. Looks like they worked! :)
Old 08-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Glad all went fairly well. Be careful going out.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 PM

all gone. some have lost power. some have water in their basements, etc. just like any other hurricane.

this was another hurricane during hurricane season, with all the usual hurricane stuff. as usual, the media went nuts in their dire predictions and warnings. not to say we should go out and play in it, but they also shouldn't scare people half to death.

a hurricane is a hurricane. tree limbs fall. streets get flooded. people lose power. cars get squashed. stay inside. this is old news. this wasn't a monster hurricane. it was a hurricane.

the governor and the press are all drama queens, IMO.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:20 PM

I am glad most heeded the warnings tho. I went thru one of your snow storms in 1957, I lived in BelMar and my husband was statiioned at Ft Monmouth. We had snow so deep we had helicopter drops with food. Took a few days before he could even get to post. We will have weather, wether or not.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM

Just got back from an RV camping trip without hookups. I cut before we went, and managed to piece an entire double size quilt on my 1915 hank crank machine. Got some strange looks, but had lots of fun!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 PM

Be safe and b prepared
Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 PM

now that it's over, i have to say as hurricanes go, it was a hard rain. not a tornado, as predicted. not a hurricane and not even a tropical storm. i live on very flat land 5 miles from the water.

fewer trees fell than in most hard rains. only one power line came down in the whole town. no injuries. a small part of town had no power for one day and night and then it was back. nobody lost phone or computer or tv. a few basements had water. we had .5". we vacuumed it and ran a fan and in four hours it was gone.

the shore was hit hard, as usual.

off topic: if you live at the edge of the water, the water comes to get you once in a while. it doesn't take a hurricane. to tell the truth, i don't want to pay for beach replenishment anymore for people who aren't smart enough to move away. and i don't want my insurance to go up anymore to pay for damaged homes at the shore. want to live there? pay for your own repairs. so i have no mercy for beach dwellers.

all in all, the media blew this out of proportion. all they had to do was say ' keep safe. use common sense.' 'if you live in a flood zone, get out. we won't come and get you. if you stay, you're on your own'. 'we have people to take you to shelters. call us.' ' we'll even take your pets in a cage'. i think that says it all. anyone else? out of the gene pool.

btw, they did take pets if they were caged and you brought food for them and kitty litter for cats.