:oops: Redeaming myself!!!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Dee

I bet the first coffee cake is still whole.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 PM

Actually the recipe makes 2 8 inch round coffeecakes. I put a tablespoon of the stuff in the mix, equaling 1/2 tablespoon for each cake. Just part of the first one was cut and tasted, and the other one was thrown away. Just the little twins wanted to eat it. Sarah said that she could taste it for quite a while, but then too, she has a very keen sense of smell. Colin went to a bakery and brought donuts and a coffeecake from there for us to eat on Sat. Nicholas told me that I was wasting their food!!
One of the new coffeecakes was eaten on Sunday, leaving some for them to eat on Monday. Colin's parents got there on Sunday after we left, and they were going to take care of the kids Mon. through Wed., when the girls would all be back in preschool. So I know that they were told the story too.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 PM

The thought was nice and you did redeem yourself.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:00 AM

Everybody deserves at least one second chance. lol.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 AM

Lol well I did the same thing once. I was very young at the time but I substituted cloves for chili powder in a pot of chilii made. It was so awful but we couldn't throw it out as we couldn't afford to and that was all we had.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jo M
Yep...made a pie once with salt instead of sugar. In my defense tho, I was very young and flour, sugar & salt were kept in canisters on the kitchen counter. The salt canister was next to the sugar - need I say more? It sure looked like sugar. Duh!
I put 'sugar' in DH's coffee for him at an outdoor gathering only to discover the hostess had filled the container with salt instead of sugar!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM

A lady I know used bleach in place of white vinegar when she was making pickles. Someone had "helpfully" emptied the last of the bleach into the 'other bottle' and then defended herself by saying that they looked alike so how was she to know, etc. (maybe the SMELL might've been a clue since the LABEL apparently wasn't enough?) Yikes!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:38 PM

At least u didn't drop a bottle of garlic salt in the turkey gravy like I did one year having Co from NY! They thought it was "seasoned" well....lol
Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM

My inlaws used to travel in a camper on a pickup when they were first doing this. My FIL would drive at night and my MIL would get back in the kitchen and fix him sandwiches while mostly in the dark. Once she made him a roast beef sandwich and when she tasted hers she had used the cinnamon instead of pepper. She had him so well trained he never mentioned it until she bit into hers. another time, he wanted a piece of pumpkin pie and the next day when she got it out again it had mold on it. He just munched away and later said it didn't affect the taste. They were a great couple. She passed in April of 2010 and he passed in July 2010. He just missed her so much. They had been married 73 years.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Google Goddess

rofl,

guess you should check ingredients twice before using

(the same way measure twice before cutting in quilting)

Originally Posted by Janis
We are up at my daughter's home, and yesterday I made coffee cake, and made a HUGE mistake. :oops: I was looking at the spices, and instead of picking up the cinnamon, I got the ground Cumin instead. Not what one expects in coffee cake. I'm trying to redeam myself and made some again. I put the cumin up higher than the cinnamon in the spice cabinet, and used the right thing this time. GD Lauren told GS Nicholas that I made coffee cake again today, and he replied, "I hope it is REAL coffee cake this time." :-P :-P