Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paypal~~Please read >

Paypal~~Please read

Paypal~~Please read

Old 08-29-2011, 05:07 AM

TY
Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 AM

Weasier22 - I really don't think doing this is "stupid". However, most of us are unsuspecting. I have had more debit/credit cards replaced in the last 2 or 3 years than in the rest of my life. I think there are just more people looking to take advantage of us than there used to be. This isn't a handshake type of world anymore.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 AM

I've gotten those before but it's been awhile. Hopefully we all know never to open Paypal (or IRS, Postmaster, UPS, etc) through a link, but it's a good reminder.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 AM

I never do follow a link. Great advice and thanks to all for the info!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 AM

I think I got this but did't do any thing with it because I don't use Paypal any longer. I can never get signed on and to me it's to many probles.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 AM

I get those all the time and just delete them. Anyone should know to not click the link but to sign in with your password directly from their website. Same with ebay or any other legit looking email
Old 08-29-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
What is so scary about these types of emails is they resemble the real company quite a bit. My dm has recently started using a computer because she wasnted email. She's in her 80's now.

Every once in awhile she'll call me all in a panic about a bank wants her to log into her account and do something....I ask her to forward me the emails and it's always something bogus.

She doesn't even own a credit card. But if she knew just a little bit more about computers she would be logging in and giving her account information to everyone who asked.
This was one of my reasons for posting this. Not everyone is computer savy, and they might just fall for it, thinking its real. I do realize most of us are aware of these scams, but there are some that are not. I worry about those folks. I was hoping this info might just prevent something happening to them.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02
I know many of us use paypal, and I have never had an issue with them at all. But I did this morning receive an email from them. Instead of clicking on the link that was provided I called them instead. This email is one of those that is trying to get your information. I do not understand completely how its done, but I do know enough not to click on links. I just wanted to warn everyone here, because I know some might click on it, and the scammers would get your info. Here is a copy of the email that I received:

Dear PayPal Member

I received one of those emails a few weeks back I deleted it right away, Boy they will try anything won't they!!!!!!!!!!!

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your PayPal account.

Reference Number: PPxxxxxxxxx

This is the Last reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

Click here to activate your account

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologise for any inconvenience
So if you get anything like this, call paypal, do not click on the link provided. Paypal will as you to send them a copy of the email so they can research and try to figure out who is sending these.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the information. Just awful that there are people out there causing trouble for innocent folks!!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 AM

O always send those to spoof@paypal