Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Memories of Woolworth's and Chicken in a Van >

Memories of Woolworth's and Chicken in a Van

Memories of Woolworth's and Chicken in a Van

Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 AM

WOW...you brought back memories or my own trips to Woolworth's in Baraboo, WI. It was only a 30 minute trip for us to get there and I always had a hamburger basket and a chocolate malt. Thanks for the memory!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

No kidding!!! I wonder how we behaved on the way home?
Jan in VA

Originally Posted by LindaSeccaspina
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
My memory is of delectible pecan pie and a "co'cola" with my BFF and her very formal grandmother at the 'best' department store in town. Still my favorite combo and comfort food. :D

Jan in VA
Jan,
Now there is a sugar jolt..:)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 AM

Love the name and recipe.
Thanks. J J
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM

One question-the picture of the "Chicken Divan" looks like it has noodles but I did not see any listed in the recipe-or was that just chicken sticking up? My memories of Woolworth's include the absolute best grilled cheese I ever ate and a slice of peanut butter pie-no chocolate-just a peanut butter filling with whipped topping and peanut butter sprinkles on top-I met Sally Field at the store on Southside in Birmingham when she was making the movie "Stay Hungry"-wow-I am really telling my age now!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM

OMG! Thanks for the recipe and the reminder of Woolworth's. Never got the chance to eat there, but walked by all too often shopping for other things. We could not afford the shopping and the eating both.
This reminds me so much of the 'chicken in the can'. Some 40-45 years ago our family could not afford much and qualified for assistance. The assistance came in different forms, free meals at school, clothing from the neighbors, and going to town to visit a truck that had canned and bagged food giveaways to those that qualified. One of the items was a large can of chicken and gravy. Or, as I remember it, creamy strips of pulled chicken with something yellow that we put over baking powdered biscuits. Anyone remember the boxed cheese? Or the canned beef? We were ecstatic to get the assistance as I recall, and it sure helped my parents out to feed all of us kids. Unhappy reminders of being called 'welfare family' but I know to this day my parents did the best they could with what they had. We are all successful adults I believe because we went through these hardships.
Your story took a whole other meaning from your topic title-Thanks for the memories!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cassews
oh my goodness- I used to take my kids to the Woolworth's lunch counter, we would ride the bus downtown ! LOL and I am 54 yrs old, they loved the shakes there! then we would shop for yarn or school supplies or just a coloring book for the kids .. what a wonderful memory .. thanks !!

too bad some of the box stores cannot recreate some is that old charm Cassews:(
Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 AM

We all have memories of that lunch counter.. I remember the layer cakes but not the cheesecake.. But you are right.. it just is not the same.

Remember checking diner's plates to see if they were almost thru eating then standing behind their chair waiting for them to finish so we could take their place. Lunch counter was always full.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by redeagle
We all have memories of that lunch counter.. I remember the layer cakes but not the cheesecake.. But you are right.. it just is not the same.

Remember checking diner's plates to see if they were almost thru eating then standing behind their chair waiting for them to finish so we could take their place. Lunch counter was always full.
I loved those cake servers.. I can see them now.. wow you had a busy one..
Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Remember the "music" department? Someone would play the piano and there would be a girl singing from a piece of sheet music. Hadn't tho't about that for many many years until this post bro't it back.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by redeagle
Remember the "music" department? Someone would play the piano and there would be a girl singing from a piece of sheet music. Hadn't tho't about that for many many years until this post bro't it back.
redeagle.. now you are dating us..:) LOL I LOVE that quilt you did in your avatar..
Just amazing