Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
UPDATE: ISO pillows, valium, duct tape, and sanity. Please send ASAP >

UPDATE: ISO pillows, valium, duct tape, and sanity. Please send ASAP

UPDATE: ISO pillows, valium, duct tape, and sanity. Please send ASAP

Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 PM

Deanna you are just too funny. No, the duct tape is to tape the pillows to the outside of car and around DD.
We went to my SIL's house and I let her drive up and down her long driveway. She is doing really well. We also spent about 30 min going over the car, where all the buttons were, how to open the hood, how to fill the fluids and such. She is so very excited it is joy to watch her learn.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:47 AM

Velcro doesn't leave marks like duct tape does.

Good Luck! :XD:
Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 AM

One day this will all be a memory! Just like your DD taking her first steps! Enjoy it!

When my oldest son who is now 33 was learning to drive his dad bought him a stick to learn in. Bad thing was dad worked long hrs so mom had to go with him as the license driver to gain experience. Didn't mean I was licensed for a stick! Luckily my son was a fast learner, otherwise we would have been stuck on the side of the road, blown a clutch, or still drifting backwards! LOL I still havn't learned to drive a stick! LOL
Old 09-01-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
My DD has passed her written driving test!! :thumbup: She is now learning how to drive. :? I need pillows and duct tape to wrap her and the car. Valium is for her dad and I. LOL. I am so very proud of her. :thumbup: :D :thumbup: :D :thumbup:
I taught all my kids to drive. And I have let my Gsons drive my truck when I am with them. I found them to be very good drivers. They both got their licenses in July, one is 17 the other 19. I have the confidence that they are very good drivers because my daughter taught them and also got them driving instructors. We try to raise our kids to be independent and smart. Now we have to release them to the world with that same confidence.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 AM

My baby DD will be 16 this month. DH and I picked up the learner's permit study guide for her yesterday. We will try and teach her a few things. But in order to preserve our sanity and nerves, we will be letting her take driving lessons from a professional school. That is what we did with our older DD and it worked so much better.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:38 AM

I gave mine a little card to hang in the car that said "Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly". I still won't ride with them. LOL
Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Linda1
I gave mine a little card to hang in the car that said "Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly". I still won't ride with them. LOL
You are not instilling confidence in them if you won't ride with them. How else are you going to know if they are good drivers or not? Tell them you are going to point out all their mistakes as they make them. They will get so tired of hearing you nag at them, they will learn to be good drivers. Of course if you're not a good driver, then it won't make any difference. I have never had so much as a parking ticket in my 55 years of driving, or even been stopped by a policeman. I consider myself a good driver.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:08 AM

I love this. 3 boys all over 21 now.
My stock reply to them was:
"When you hear my foot hitting the floor on this side of the car, you had better start applying the brake on your side of the car, unless you want me over there sitting in your lap applying the brake for you!"
And while one of them still makes me nervous, they are all decent drivers now.

Happy Day
Susan
Old 09-01-2011, 06:11 AM

My daughter turned in front of a car and totaled it out the first day that she had her license.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 AM

ohmgoodness .. your daughter has passed .. congratulations .. I know the feeling of the valium, duct tape and all the other stuff .I taught one daughter and DH taught the other .. the daughter I taught has never had an accident-the daughter that DH taught well let's say too many accidents for me !LOL The clencher of it all-DH is and has been a truck driver, HE taught her to drive a car like a truck !LOL OH well ...