Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new - good iron - any recommendations? >

I need a new - good iron - any recommendations?

I need a new - good iron - any recommendations?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 PM

me too - love it!! Also, consider the cordless variety, I have one of those and it is really great!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:47 PM

This is one thing I WON'T spend much on ever again! Had two Rowenta's, both bit the big one in under a year.

My "regular" iron is a T-Fal. The one I use on the small table next to my sewing machine is a Proctor Silex that was about $10 @ Wal-Mart, has no auto-off (a feature I didn't want for sewing). Truly, they both work almost as well as the Rowenta's on their best day.

So I'll buy LQS fabric (esp. on sale when I can!), and love my Roxanne thimble, my Bernina and my Janome, but never again will I spend extra $ for an iron!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Same here. I am not impressed with my Rowetta. Just bought an inexpensive one to use when starching quilt fabrics and really like it.

My "regular" iron is a T-Fal. The one I use on the small table next to my sewing machine is a Proctor Silex that was about $10 @ Wal-Mart, has no auto-off (a feature I didn't want for sewing). Truly, they both work almost as well as the Rowenta's on their best day.

So I'll buy LQS fabric (esp. on sale when I can!), and love my Roxanne thimble, my Bernina and my Janome, but never again will I spend extra $ for an iron![/quote]
Old 09-01-2011, 04:03 PM

I have an uncanny ability to drop irons so I just buy one of the cheapest ones I can find at Target. If I get a year out of an iron I'm happy.Generally spend less than $20 per iron. Prefer Black and Decker if They're on sale.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Oliso I got one in July... just love it. and I have had all kinds. this one is great. about the cost of a Rowenta, but much better quality.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by kkdolls
I have an Oliso Smart Iron and I absolutely love it. I have had it about 6 months and use it a great deal. It has never spit water and is wonderful to use on my quilts. Highly recommend it.
I have one too and absolutely love it!! If you can afford one, I would strongly recommend the Oliso Smart Iron.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM

I have a Rowenta that I've had for a long time and been happy with but I never put water in my iron so I don't have any chance of leaking and that seems to be the most common complaint.

I would like to buy a back-up iron but I get so confused reading all the posts that give conflicting advice on here, I give up and stay with my old one.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM

I love my little shark, they make 2 sizes, I bought the smaller one, it has a blast of steam you wouldnn't beleive!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JADE D
I have an uncanny ability to drop irons so I just buy one of the cheapest ones I can find at Target. If I get a year out of an iron I'm happy.Generally spend less than $20 per iron. Prefer Black and Decker if They're on sale.
Yep that is how I ended upi with my new one recently :)
Old 09-01-2011, 04:40 PM

I, too, go through irons frequently. The ones I bought in the last ten years simply do not get really hot. I also like auto shut offs because my iron was leaving me stick-on notes about shutting itself off. Somebody in the family thinks I might start a fire. Since there are only two of us, I have a pretty good idea of who is helping the iron write notes.

I do not like Rowenta. I bought two, quite expensive and the both leaked. Then, I bought a Braun and loved it, but dropped it too often when in a cement floored apartment (loft in Hobokien). Now I have another Braun. It is heavier then the last, but it gets hot.

My problem with inexpensiuve models is they just do not get very hot and I wear lots of linen, and am a quilter. Heat, not weight is the issue.