Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines..... >

Singer Sewing Machines.....

Singer Sewing Machines.....

Old 09-06-2011, 11:51 AM

I think the site is actually http://shop.sew-classic.com/ and the owner is Jenny. :)

She's very knowledgeable about vintage machines and will be able to point you toward the foot that works with your straight-stitch slant needle machines.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I think the site is actually http://shop.sew-classic.com/ and the owner is Jenny. :)

She's very knowledgeable about vintage machines and will be able to point you toward the foot that works with your straight-stitch slant needle machines.
Yes, the owner's name is Jenny, and she is wonderful. She gets right back to you when you have a question about something and gets your order right out to you. I always check with her first before ordering anywhere else.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
I have a old Singer industrial sewing machine that I got at the Good will that is electric but was not in a cabnet. My husband made me a box and mounted it for me and I keep all the attachments in the box under the sewing machine. I am saving up for a new machine and hope to have it by Thanksgiving.
Some of those old industrials are really VERY nice if they are in good shape. You can have the clutch set to go slower or put a smaller motor on one if you don't want to go so fast. If that is what you are sewing on you will be sadly disappointed in a brand new machine. Try one of the Singer slant-o-matic series if you need decorative stitches and keep the industrial alive.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:29 PM

I mostly sew with my Viking Quilt Designer. I love, love, love that machine. That being said, if something ever happens to it I will start using my vintage machines. I have a FW, 301, Singer hand crank, and a White treadle. The vintage machines are so well made and so easy to work on. My Viking has to visit a repair person if something goes wrong, I do also have a new Singer Featherweight that I have serious issues with. Wish I had never bought that one. It sews fine, it just throws the thread out of the take up bar. Still haven't figured out how it does that.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM

I love my Singer 301 (actually have two of them!). Have never owned a machine that has such a smooth, beautiful, always perfect stitch. I have a new Singer Confidence Quilter, and it sits gathering dust most of the time, unless I need a zig-zag or fancy stitch!

I'm in the process of restoring a Singer 127 treadle--just because I love the way they look and have always wanted one. But now that I have it sewing, I think I will use it too. I also love that the vintage machines are quality, but simple to work on. I do all the cleaning, oiling, adjusting and in the long-run save a lot of money!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 PM

I use my 1940 cast iron Singer almost daily....and almost NEVER use my other three much newer machines. My Singer doesn't tangle the bobbin thread or do other weird things that I have to figure out---unless I misthread it or make another mistake! Very reliable, have made probably close to 100 quilt tops on it and no problems.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:28 PM

Anna, you've been peeking in my house :lol: :lol: .. I have 18 at last count including ones like your treadle, the little white featherweight and 301. Then there is the 66 hand crank and electric model, the 338, the two 99's , the 15-91 and the 285J. Plus 3 Kenmores, a Brother and a Coronado(the only one not working...can't locate a needle clamp for it). And a few Japanese models from the 50's. Then, there's the modern computerized ones, my least favorites. I'm getting ready to list my extra long sofa on CL...just don't have that much company and it will give my "babies" a little more space :lol: . I love each and every one of them and take turns sewing with them so no one gets jealous. I think I have an addiction :lol: :lol:
Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Beautiful machines.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by harrishs
I love and use my vintage machines every day! I seldom use my wonderful Bernina. I have 19 vintage, 15 are Singer. They are easy to maintain and have a wonderful straight stitch for piecing which is what I mostly do.......I do quilt on my pfaff Grand quilter.

Pretty maids all in a row!
Is that a tan FW on the end? They look so pretty all lined up!
Yes, it is 1962 221K from Kilbowery, Scotland. the paint is pretty chipped but she is still lovely and sews so prettily.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by totosmom
Oh, yes, I'm a real devotee of those older machines. They are utterly reliable and last forever due to their metal construction. When plastic gears were introduced in the 80s, everything went downhill.

The Viking 6440 was my first vintage machine which I use for piecing blocks. It also has cams which create some lovely decorative stitches that I use on the bindings of my quilts. I will admit that I fell in love with its red color only to discover that these things can last a lifetime -- and then be repaired to last another one!

Then I started making Quilts of Valor with a group of friends. The Viking was too heavy to take each week, so I thought I'd get a Featherweight. I found them too expensive, so I invested in a 301 which is only a tad heavier but still quite manageable. She is always ready to sew a straight as an arrow 1/4" seam which is all I need when we meet. She's full sized too, so I'm looking forward to doing some FMQ on her sooner or later. She's not collector quality, but I love her nicks and scratches because I know she's been lovingly used.

For all the fancy pants stuff I have a newer Bernina which is reliable too but not at all portable.

Dorothy in PA
I have that same Viking only mine is white. One of my kids lost one of the cams when they were little.