Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paste this over your washer and dryer >

Paste this over your washer and dryer

Paste this over your washer and dryer

Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 AM

I remember helping my Mom with the washing. We had a wringer-washer too. My Mom had eight siblings and she was the oldest. She had to do all the cooking, washing and ironing until she eloped at 30 years old. Her brothers hid her suitcase under the house until she was ready to leave. Needless to say, her father was not happy.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MS quilter
And they still made quilts! How in the world did they have time?
Some of the things that we take for granted now didn't exist then and these modern "conveniences" can take up a whole lot of our time. I know mine do... the computer, the tv, the phone, the car that can take me places on a whim. If I'd remove all these things from my life, I would get a lot more quilting done!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM

I grew up in St Louis and we lived in a Housing Project. Mom had a Maytag Wringer Warsher. She pushed it to the sink and one was filled with rinse water and the other with Faultless Starch that was cooked on the stove, then rung out into a bushel fruit basket that was dragged (by one or 2 of us 4 sisters)out the back door and down the steps to the community clothes drying yard to hang up. Things did smell fresh whe we took them down. All the starched ones then had to be sprinkled down and rolled up and placed into that basket to ironed by us or mom....good memories..thanks for them.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM

I will hug my washer
Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Aaa - the good old days.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM

In addition the heavy old irons, starching clothes, making all food from scratch, rugs to beat, ....And they did it wearing dresses lol. Hard, hard lives!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:02 PM

I remember using my Mom's old washer with the hand wringer on it. This was in the 50's no less. Whites first, then through the wringer into clean rinse water, back through the wringer and into rinse water with blueing (does anyone remember that?) and one final wring and out to hang on clothes line. Was sure glad when whites were done as all the rest only had to have one rinsing and 2 wrings befor hanging. Hung sheets to hide the Undies too...lol
Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Sure do remember...my grandmother(lived with us) had a wringer washer. Washed all day Monday. Whites first and sheets hung to outside, unmentionables inside. Rotated clothes as the sun moved to help dry faster. Remember "bluing" to help things get whiter, I think. Dumped on garden when done. Ironed all day Tuesday. I used to iron the men's hankerchiefs, napkins, and pillowcases. We had a mangle too...but I wasnt permitted to use that,used for sheets and tableclothes, etc.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
Next time when you think things are bleak, read it again,kiss that washing machine and dryer, and give thanks.

"Warshing Clothes Recipe" -- imagine having a recipe for this.
Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave a new bride the following recipe:

This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook - spelling errors and all.

WARSHING CLOTHESBuild fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water.Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert.Shave one whole cake of lie soap in boilin water.Sort things, make 3 piles1 pile white,1 pile colored,1 pile work britches and rags.To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil,then rub colored don't boil just wrench (rinse) and starch.Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.Hang old rags on fence.Spread tea towels on grass.Pore wrench water in flower bed.Scrub porch with hot soapy water.Turn tubs upside down.Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs.Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.
Monday used to be laundry day for many Christian women because the task was so physically demanding, it helped to have a day of rest first. Serving a big Sunday dinner not only made the Sabbath special, it meant that there were leftovers to make Monday's meals easier to prepare.

No wonder commercial laundries were typically one of the first businesses established in new towns! And even if there weren't a commercial laundry, taking in cleaning was a way for a woman to earn a little extra money.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM

What a wonderful few pieces of our history. What would your grandma or mine say if they cloold see the tools and machines we have today> I loved every one of Grandma's quilts and am restoring 4, but there at the end of her life she got a little sloppy, so I'm having to do some minor repairs. I hope my siblings are pleased